Red Cross a mess
The situation with the American Red Cross operation in New Albany continues to deteriorate with the resignation of Sally Zemek, the local part-time staff member.
An ill-conceived plan to abolish the local Red Cross chapter and Zemek’s part-time job as its director has resulted in a situation that can best be described as a mess.
Responsibility for the mess lies squarely with the Red Cross Division 3 regional office in Texas that handles Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma. The division announced with no notice and without consulting political and civic leaders in New Albany that the chapter would be closed.
After much criticism, the group said an office, not a chapter, would be retained here, but virtually all of the operation would be handled out the Red Cross office in Tupelo.
The shoddy treatment of Zemek and local officials has had several results. First, the highly respected Zemek was promptly recruited away to be the part-time director of the Lighthouse Enrichment Center, a local non-profit organization that provides home repair for elderly and disabled homeowners in Union County. Zemek will retain her other part-time job as director of the Union County Good Samaritan Center.
Second, as expected, Union County eliminated its $7,000 contribution to the Red Cross and New Albany voted to end its $5,000 contribution. It is not yet known whether the Union County allocations committee of the United Way will eliminate its $8,000 in annual support.
The Red Cross always has been a quality organization that provides help through staff members and volunteers. It’s too bad that poor regional decisions have sullied its reputation in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6