Improving our lives
The key to the state’s economic future depends largely on increasing the educational level of our citizens.
Mississippi’s per capita income lags the nation and our area of the state is below even the state average. Much of the problem can be traced to the lack of enough education to get and retain good jobs. A high school graduate earns only 48 cents for every dollar that a college graduate earns.
That’s not a new thought, but increasingly, it is one that is being understood and valued by families throughout our state.
It is evident in the new enrollment figures at Mississippi colleges and universities, which show that enrollment is up almost everywhere. Enrollment at the University of Mississippi is up 7.1 percent. At Mississippi State University, it is up 5.6 percent. Enrollment also is up at community colleges.
And enrollment is up despite tuition increases at most of the schools, and cuts in programs and services. The schools have had to make do with less because of a significant decline in state support of education, including higher education.
Additional state cuts are expected in the coming year because of the end of federal stimulus funds, which state officials have used to prop up the state government during the economic downturn.
Mississippians are recognizing the importance of investing their money in getting a quality education for their children, even if the state leadership is not. An educated populace is the number one driver of economic growth and improvements in our quality of life.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...