Heritage Pioneer Days set for Sept. 17, 18
Visitors to New Albany can go back in time to the good ol’ days of washing clothes on a washboard, shucking their own corn, shelling their own peas, and more a the ninth annual Heritage Pioneer Days.
Heritage Pioneer Days will take place at the Union County Heritage Museum in New Albany on September 17 and 18.
This is a living history event in which volunteers dress in period costume and teach children a new perspective on farm life and the activities and chores that used to be performed in order to have the amenities children are used to having just by going to the grocery store in these days. There is a full slate of activities, contests and demonstrations are planned.
Events for students will be held on Friday, and on Saturday families are invited to attend. The event is free and shows the rural culture of the area of days gone by.
New stations this year include rope making and log cabin building, and visitors might get to help on completing the dugout canoe.
Old favorites will include baling hay with a mule, shelling and shucking corn, watermelon seed spitting contest, pea shelling contest, sack races and lots of other fun activities.
Many of the activities will take place in the outdoor exhibit area, however, some things may be seen inside the museum as well.
Shucking and shelling corn on the hand turned sheller is always a favorite of visitors as well as many other events. Visitors can also take a look back in time by visiting the old general store, pharmacy, old train caboose and much more outside and inside the museum.
Call the museum for more information at 662-538-0014 or go to the website www.ucheritagemuseum.com.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...