Myrtle man dies in railroad accident
An on-the-job accident near the Cleveland Street railroad crossing lead to the death of a Myrtle man early Wednesday morning.
Mississippi Tennessee Railnet employee Jeffrey Dale Thompson, 24, of 1077 County Road 52, was killed while helping load equipment with a backhoe.
According to New Albany Police Chief David Grisham, a construction crew was loading a generator into a railway car when the accident occurred.
“When they were loading the generator, something went wrong,” Grisham said. “The generator slipped and pinned him between it and the railway car.”
New Albany police and fire departments were both called to the scene.
Union County Coroner Mark Golding said that he pronounced Thompson dead at the scene at 9:20 a.m., most likely the result of head trauma. Golding stated that Thompson’s body was being sent to Jackson for an autopsy, due to the fact that it was a railroad accident and the strong possibility that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration would become involved with investigation of the incident.
Golding said the preliminary results of the autopsy are expected later this week.
According to Mississippi-Tennessee Railnet officials, Thompson has been employed with the company since 2009.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...