Bynum takes top honors in 1A golf championships
West Union improved on their fourth place finish in 2009, finishing third in the 1A state golf championships last week.
The Eagles finished in the top half of the team competition, as there were six teams competing this year. West Union also had their best score as a team on the second day of the tournament enroute to their finish.
“I’m proud of their effort and extremely impressed and proud of how they performed on the second day,” West Union golf coach Alex Scrimpshire said. “You couldn’t ask for more from them.”
Austin Bynum picked up the overall medalist award for 1A, posting a 74 on both days of the tournament. Noted as one of the hardest workers on the team, Bynum has improved on the mental aspect of the game, helping him to win top honors.
“Since he was in the eighth grade, he’s been our best golfer, and he’s competed well for us this year,” Scrimpshire said. “For whatever reason, he hasn’t always played his best in state competition, but we worked real hard on keeping him focused, as he would get down on himself after one bad shot. He no longer dwells on mistakes, but puts it behind him, and that showed this year.”
Teammate Jonathan Martin also placed in the top ten overall, finishing in fifth place. Other team members for the 2010 squad include Will Wooten, Devin Pearce and Zack Brock.
Cathedral won the overall team title, followed by 2009 champion St. Aloysius. Ingomar also competed, finishing after the Eagles.
About Chris Elkins
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...