New Haven receives a $10,000 donation for bus fund
A new bus is needed for the clients and employees of New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults and New Haven has been raising money to go towards their bus fund since last fall. The approximate goal amount needed to purchase the 28-passenger bus they need, complete with handicapped accessibility features, is over $60,000.
Walmart Distribution Center (DC) surprised New Haven last Thursday with a check for $10,000 to go towards their bus fund. This makes the bus fund’s total of $48,400.27.
New Haven has been notified that they will be awarded a grant from UNITE on March 25th and will receive a grant from Pilot International that will be announced soon.
Collett Cross, director of New Haven, said, “After these grants are awarded, we should be within approximately $25,000 of the cost of the bus. The Board of Directors will meet at the end of this month to move forward with the purchase.”
Walmart DC and New Haven have both been saving and collecting pull tabs from their soft drinks and their plan is to donate these tabs to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. to help out with dialysis treatments and other procedures.
Once the bus is purchased, a few Walmart DC employees and everyone from New Haven will personally deliver the pull tabs to St. Jude and also have plans to visit Elvis Presley’s Graceland too.
Last year there was a challenge to see if Walmart DC or New Haven could raise more pull tabs than the other and New Haven won the challenge, with saving and collecting over 200 pounds of pull tabs.
James McKinney, human resources manager for Walmart DC, said that each employee has the opportunity to volunteer for some type of organization and when they volunteer in the community, Walmart DC will give a charitable donation to the charity, club, or organization of their choice. This is why New Haven has received this contribution, thanks to the volunteerism of Walmart employees.
This is part of Walmart’s Volunteerism Always Pays program.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...