Tallahatchie River Players to present ‘And the Tide Shall Cover the Earth’
The Tallahatchie River Players are presenting another play for the New Albany community to come and enjoy.
The play, entitled “And the Tide Shall Cover the Earth” by Norma Cole, is based on the true story of a grandmother and her granddaughter that are both confronted by nature and change.
The setting is Kentucky in 1948 and the lake and dams are built and run by the Tennessee Valley Authority. Wolf Creek’s hydroelectric dam is finished and closed, but when it rains had for long hours, the rain lifts the levels of the new lake. The local townspeople are afraid that the water will overpower the town and houses as well as farmland, which might force the townspeople to find another place to live.
However, the grandmother, also known as “Granny”, stubbornly refuses to leave, while her granddaughter Geneva is certain that they will have to move. Geneva gradually prevails. Granny ends up bringing forth her blue-jar hidden treasures and both women figure out how to go forward in their new life, albeit with new changes of their lives.
This play was considered ‘A new American classic’ by the 1994 Southeastern Community Theatre Festival in awarding Norma Cole’s play it’s “Best Play Award.”
The directors are Stanley Wise and Kathy Wise. Cast members are as follows: Mattie (Amy Welborn), Alice (Savannah Owens), Geneva (Rakel Gibson), Granny (Kay Holley), Dade (Rick Robbins), Betty Lou (Lexie Kent), Kendall (Sam Hickey), Government Lawyer (Bill Hughes).
The play will be held at the Ciné Theater at the Magnolia Civic Center on February 25 and 26 at 7:30 p.m. and on February 27 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The ticket prices are $8 for adults and $6 for children. Call 534-3438 for ticket information.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...