Tallahatchie River Players to present ‘And the Tide Shall Cover the Earth’
The Tallahatchie River Players are presenting another play for the New Albany community to come and enjoy.
The play, entitled “And the Tide Shall Cover the Earth” by Norma Cole, is based on the true story of a grandmother and her granddaughter that are both confronted by nature and change.
The setting is Kentucky in 1948 and the lake and dams are built and run by the Tennessee Valley Authority. Wolf Creek’s hydroelectric dam is finished and closed, but when it rains had for long hours, the rain lifts the levels of the new lake. The local townspeople are afraid that the water will overpower the town and houses as well as farmland, which might force the townspeople to find another place to live.
However, the grandmother, also known as “Granny”, stubbornly refuses to leave, while her granddaughter Geneva is certain that they will have to move. Geneva gradually prevails. Granny ends up bringing forth her blue-jar hidden treasures and both women figure out how to go forward in their new life, albeit with new changes of their lives.
This play was considered ‘A new American classic’ by the 1994 Southeastern Community Theatre Festival in awarding Norma Cole’s play it’s “Best Play Award.”
The directors are Stanley Wise and Kathy Wise. Cast members are as follows: Mattie (Amy Welborn), Alice (Savannah Owens), Geneva (Rakel Gibson), Granny (Kay Holley), Dade (Rick Robbins), Betty Lou (Lexie Kent), Kendall (Sam Hickey), Government Lawyer (Bill Hughes).
The play will be held at the Ciné Theater at the Magnolia Civic Center on February 25 and 26 at 7:30 p.m. and on February 27 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The ticket prices are $8 for adults and $6 for children. Call 534-3438 for ticket information.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...