Union County courthouse turns 101
The Union County courthouse celebrates its 101st anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone on September 5th. The contractor was F. M. Dobson of Montgomery, Ala. and the building was accepted by the Board of Supervisors in June 1909.
Early records indicate that in 1872 or 1873 was when the county’s first courthouse and jail were built and there was a north and south side wing. The courthouse was two stories tall and built out of brick. The contractors were Crockett and Hogue.
In the north wing, the first floor housed a printing office for the newspaper in New Albany at the time, which was unique because housing a private business within a courthouse was rare at that time.
The courthouse was destroyed by fire on October 28, 1881, which ended up also destroying all of the county records that had been stored there since 1870.
However, a new building was erected in 1882 by the Meridian contracting company of Zukor and Co., but was torn down around 1908 because its size was too small for the county’s needs.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer