Capaning, Ellis named New Albany High School Valedictorian, Salutatorian
New Albany High School has announced that Karl Capaning and Jennie Katherine Ellis are the Class of 2009’s Valedictorian and Salutatorian respectively.
Capaning, son of Edgar and Ninabeth Capaning, and brother to Lianne Capaning, is the Valedictorian with a 4.0 grade point average. Karl says he plans to begin a pursuit of a major in Accounting at Mississippi State University next fall and, after receiving his degree, attending law school.
Besides being named Class Valedictorian, Capaning was also named the Student-Teacher Achievement Recognition (STAR) Student for the 2008-2009 school year by the Mississippi Economic Council’s M. B. Swayze Educational Foundation. He is also a member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, the Union County Leadership Academy, Spanish Club and in the high school’s Journalism program. During his time at New Albany High School, Capaning has also played on the soccer and tennis teams.
Capaning said that his advice to fellow students is to have self-confidence.
“Be confident in yourself,” Capaning said. “Strive for individuality and always put academics first.”
Ellis is the Class of 2009’s Salutatorian with a 3.97 grade point average. She is the daughter of Nancy and John Ellis and has a sister, Brenna Trout.
Among her accomplishments, Jenna has served as the high school’s newspaper Editor, president of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Anchor Club Treasurer, as well as a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Future Business Leaders of America, FEA, National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Beta, Youth Main Street, Union County Leadership Academy and Young Republicans United. She has also been involved in ballet and dance since an early age and is a member of the Tupelo Ballet Company.
Ellis says she plans to attend either the University of Mississippi or Alabama in the fall and major in Mathematics. After getting her degree, she plans to attend medical school and pursue a career as a child psychiatrist.
“Take on as much as you can handle,” Ellis advises other students. “Don’t let other people bring you down or change you. And don’t cheat.”
Capaning and Ellis, along with their Senior classmates, will become graduates at the New Albany High School Commencement Ceremony on Friday, May 22.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...