After dawdling for months, the New Albany Board of Aldermen finally agreed Tuesday to do a feasibility study for a public swimming pool. The board included $10,000 in the city budget a year ago to help pay for a study of the needs and possible solutions to provide a public place for our community to […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The deadline is fast approaching for getting your tickets to the fourth annual Tallahatchie RiverFest Community luncheon. The last day to get a ticket is Monday, Sept. 22, for the Friday, Sept. 26, program in the event hall of the First United Methodist Church. Tickets are $15, or you can get a reserved table for […]
We thought awhile about whether this is a subject that warranted an editorial. In the end, we decided to have a go at it. The subject is dog waste or dog excrement or, for those of us not given to euphemisms, dog poop. Dog poop can be a problem, especially if it is not your […]
It’s time for Friday night lights. The high school football fields will be lit for the first home games of the year this Friday. It’ll be hot, but that is expected in August as the New Albany Bulldogs and East Union Urchins play their first home games. At East Union, it will be a special […]
One of the highlights of the walking tour of historic downtown New Albany is the “Famous Feet” mural on Highland Street. The mural, which was created some years ago by art students supervised by New Albany High School art teacher Lee Ann Thompson, depicts the feet of famous Mississippians. Visitors can try their luck at […]
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has kicked off its 2014 fundraising campaign by setting a goal of $2,425,000, which is $25,000 more than last year’s goal. The campaign got a quiet start this year as the United Way helped distribute school supplies and backpacks to children throughout the region. In Union County, that has […]
A fourth annual Tallahatchie RiverFest Community Luncheon is approaching and tickets have gone on sale for this event, which will be held Friday, Sept. 26. The kickoff luncheon was begun three years ago to help boost the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which […]
School starts Friday in Union County schools and next Monday in the New Albany schools, which means it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed […]
Two recent items in the news point to the state of the economy in New Albany and Union County. First, our unemployment rate in Union County for June is 6.9 percent, which is the lowest among all the counties in Northeast Mississippi. Lafayette County has historically had the lowest rate. Lafayette’s rate is 7.4 percent. […]
The fourth annual Arts, Beats & Eats, one of New Albany’s best social events, is just a couple of days away. It’s set for 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the In Bloom event hall. We expect a big crowd will turn out for this somewhat dressy, upscale event that features juried artists, music, food […]
- County makes arrests in area burglaries March 4, 2015
- Special U.S. House election to be May 12 February 27, 2015
- Baggett leads Eagles to win over Bogue Chitto March 5, 2015
- Ingomar defeats Montgomery County for semi-final appearance March 5, 2015
- Testing for graduation March 6, 2015
- East Union Attendance Center beauty review March 6, 2015
- East Union students help save lives of two wreck victims March 6, 2015
- Blue Springs seeks grant for more police presence March 6, 2015
- City considering plan for bike path to connect west side to park, downtown March 6, 2015
- City schools look at long-range planning, make staff appointments March 6, 2015
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...