The New Albany Board of Aldermen voted Tuesday to allow its tourism department to serve alcohol at a dinner May 22 in the Park Along the River. The board voted 3 to 1 to allow alcohol to be served at a $50-a-plate event in the public park. Voting in favor were Aldermen Jeff Olson, Scott […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
It’s hard to think of the Union County Fair without Stanley Wise, but we are going to have to get used to it. Wise retired last Thursday as Mississippi State’s Union County Extension Director, ending nearly 30 years of work with extension service, the last 15 here in Union County. During Wise’s tenure the fair, […]
Here in New Albany we take great pride in our public schools and in our students and their accomplishments. One of the ways we recognize those accomplishments is the annual high school graduation ceremony. We are a close-knit community and each year many of our residents turn out to support a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, […]
The amount of money distributed this year by the United Way of Northeast Mississippi to agencies that serve Union County was a pleasant surprise. The United Way distributed $90,704 to 27 agencies, which is 50 percent more than the $60,525 last year. Last year was a low point in recent memory; the year before $77,405 […]
We applaud the selection by the college’s Board of Trustees of Ricky G. Ford of Booneville to take over as president of Northeast Mississippi Community College in July. Ford, currently executive vice-president of the school, has spent most of his career to this point at Northeast, serving as a coach, admissions counselor, athletic director and […]
New Albany got more good manufacturing news last week with the announcement of the expansion of VIP Cinema Seating in our community. The company, the world’s largest manufacturer of premium cinema seating, introduced luxury reclining seating to the theater industry in 2008 and has been on a roll ever since. The current expansion is into […]
The New Albany Main Street Association has again come up with a new event to encourage more people to stroll and shop downtown. This Saturday, April 18, the association will sponsor something called Live @ Noon, a musical performance on the Trailhead Plaza across from City Hall. Singer-songwriter Tatum Shappley, a native of Ripley, who […]
A circuit court judge in Mississippi has quashed the arrogant effort by the state Legislature to thwart a citizen-generated initiative supporting public education that will be on the November ballot. The initiative, a constitutional amendment that would require the state to meet its obligations to finance public education, had so irritated the legislature that it […]
Our annual event here in New Albany that kicks off spring is happening this Friday and Saturday at the Union County Fairgrounds. It’s the New Albany Home and Garden Show, which is sponsored by the Union County Master Gardeners group with help from the Mississippi State Extension Service. What started on a relatively small scale […]
The news that New Albany will be receiving $175,000 in state bond money for use on bicycle trails, continued improvements at BNA Bank Park and related facilities or an outdoor stage provides the Board of Aldermen with interesting options. The city has several needed improvements, but we think a couple should take priority in the […]
- Urchins Player of the Week October 1, 2015
- TRP to present evening of dinner and music this weekend October 7, 2015
- Wright Brothers to be program topic at Luncheon with Books Oct. 20 October 7, 2015
- County will close section of CR 200 October 7, 2015
- Elementary students practice to play with symphony October 7, 2015
- Honoring Vance Witt October 7, 2015
- Not your father’s phone company October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on