The strength of volunteerism was demonstrated again this past Saturday, this time by employees, families and friends of Toyota Manufacturing Mississippi. About 850 volunteers from the company participated in National Public Lands Day by helping to freshen two parks in New Albany and build another from scratch in Blue Springs. In New Albany, volunteers helped […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The New Albany School Board of Trustees has taken quick action to cure what could have been a significant safety hazard. The board voted unanimously this week to replace the lighting system at New Albany High School’s Kitchens Field after it was discovered that one or more of the existing wooden poles had been severely […]
The list of students who have achieved the distinction of being named National Merit Semifinalists has been released and the number making the cut from northeast Mississippi is down from last year. Twelve students in the region were named semifinalists in the prestigious national competition that recognizes less than one percent of the nation’s high […]
This week saw a change in the local journalism community that we don’t think should pass without a comment. Robert Byers resigned from his job anchoring the morning news team at WTVA-TV in Tupelo to take a communications position with the Lee County Schools. Why do we care? Some would say it’s a bit unusual […]
The Tanglefoot Trail opened a year ago this month, bringing with it new opportunities for walkers, bikers, joggers and just plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed by explorer Meriwether Lewis, later became the route for the narrow-gauge railway built by Col. William C. Falkner, great-grandfather of William Faulkner. It is named after one of […]
After dawdling for months, the New Albany Board of Aldermen finally agreed Tuesday to do a feasibility study for a public swimming pool. The board included $10,000 in the city budget a year ago to help pay for a study of the needs and possible solutions to provide a public place for our community to […]
The deadline is fast approaching for getting your tickets to the fourth annual Tallahatchie RiverFest Community luncheon. The last day to get a ticket is Monday, Sept. 22, for the Friday, Sept. 26, program in the event hall of the First United Methodist Church. Tickets are $15, or you can get a reserved table for […]
We thought awhile about whether this is a subject that warranted an editorial. In the end, we decided to have a go at it. The subject is dog waste or dog excrement or, for those of us not given to euphemisms, dog poop. Dog poop can be a problem, especially if it is not your […]
It’s time for Friday night lights. The high school football fields will be lit for the first home games of the year this Friday. It’ll be hot, but that is expected in August as the New Albany Bulldogs and East Union Urchins play their first home games. At East Union, it will be a special […]
One of the highlights of the walking tour of historic downtown New Albany is the “Famous Feet” mural on Highland Street. The mural, which was created some years ago by art students supervised by New Albany High School art teacher Lee Ann Thompson, depicts the feet of famous Mississippians. Visitors can try their luck at […]
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Campaign signage April 1, 2015
- Procrastination and garage doors April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...