The proposal to rename Baker Street on the city’s east side to honor former Ward Three Alderman Tommie Beasley is ill-advised and should not be brought back before the Board of Aldermen. The proposal has created controversy among some residents on the street who have pointed out that the Baker home became the first black […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
Next Tuesday will mark a year since the new emergency department opened at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. And an eventful year it has been for the gleaming, modern facility on the backside of the hospital that replaced a cramped and overwhelmed area that looked more like an old-time bus station. Emergency room volume has surged […]
Texting while driving became illegal in Mississippi July 1, but so far there Is not a lot of evidence that the law is having an effect. When we drive around New Albany and Union County we see driver after driver staring at the screen on a cell phone. Distracted drivers are an important safety issue […]
It’s coming up to mid-July and that means its time for the Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi.” The traditional fair events will be in full swing beginning Monday with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Wednesday is Seniors Day […]
It was a proud moment for New Albany and Union County last Thursday as 14 local folks turned ceremonial spades full of dirt to kick off expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum. When architectural students at Mississippi State University first put together expansion drawings in 2009, many in the community dismissed it as something […]
We hope you will pause for a moment Saturday and join us in observing the birth of our country. It is the official date that we commemorate the adoption in 1776 of the Declaration of Independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. It’s a time to give thanks for a strong federal government, one that […]
Today’s issue of the Gazette contains the sixth edition of Explore Magazine, our annual glossy tourism and marketing guide touting the benefits of New Albany and Union County. It’s something all of us at the Gazette are proud of because it has been an unqualified success story. This year’s issue has grown to 100 pages, […]
The lack of new upscale single-family homes in a master-planned subdivision has been a problem in New Albany for a long time. That’s what makes the announcement of a new master-planned subdivision with 63 home sites on Bratton Road within the city limits so exciting. Dirt work on the Parkview subdivision being developed by Terry […]
Residents of New Albany have received some good news about the quality of their fire protection and the effect it has on their insurance. The Mississippi Rating Bureau has changed the ratings class for eligible properties within the city to a five from a six classification. Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 10, […]
Sunday is Flag Day and the community already is all decked out with flags. Lots of businesses have flags out and many of those were put there from a project of the Kiwanis Club of New Albany. Displaying the flags is one of the largest sources of income for the club and Paul Anderson, the […]
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...