The calendar hasn’t even turned to the election year yet, but political demagoguery already is out of control in Mississippi. Gov. Phil Bryant, apparently wary of a possible primary election challenger from the Tea Party, has embarked on a pattern of attacks about efforts to raise education standards, attacks that are a disservice to our […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The sale of the Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC dealership in New Albany marks the end of an era that has spanned 95 years. What started with William N. “Newt” Parks Sr. (Bill Parks’ great-grandfather) opening Parks Auto Co. in 1919 and selling Studebakers ended with the sale of the family-owned business to Joe Marshall of Tupelo on […]
University tuition costs are going up again at eight public universities, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University. The College Board is about to approve increases that average 3.2 percent, but are 5 percent at both of the two flagship state universities. Tuition and fees at both schools will be about $7,500 a […]
The first salvo in election-year look-at-me politics has been sounded with Gov. Phil Bryant’s proposal Monday for an income tax cut for roughly 300,000 tax filers. The governor has included a tax credit for families making up to $52,000 a year in his budget recommendation to next year’s Legislature. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves also is […]
Two events this week reminded us of the effective and important work two local nonprofit agencies do on shoestring budgets and without much fanfare. The Holiday Open House downtown Sunday and the Union County Job Fair Wednesday were both extremely successful. The Holiday Open House is one of the events sponsored by the New Albany […]
Nothing gets our dander up faster than a story about businesses failing to pay their state sales tax. A story this week by Emily Le Coz in The Clarion-Ledger was about a Jackson restaurant owner charged with felony tax evasion in what state revenue officials call a growing epidemic of sales tax evasion that cost […]
Union County is blessed with a relatively low rate of unemployment, but that does not mean that we do not have people seeking jobs or seeking better jobs than they have. Next Wednesday those seeking a job, or a better job, will have an opportunity to meet with nearly two dozen employers in the region […]
Downtown has been decked out in holiday wreaths and that means one of the area’s most successful events is coming up this Sunday. The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House will be held from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday About 3,000 people are expected to turn out to see the holiday […]
Normally we wouldn’t think it was necessary to remind you that we’re having an election next Tuesday. But this year’s general election has been so lackluster that we don’t think it is top of mind for most of us. We do have three offices to decide on Tuesday, as well as a proposed constitutional amendment […]
Halloween is upon us, and this Friday several thousand children are expected to be out and about in our county enjoying the opportunity to Trick or Treat. We’re not one to put down the idea of children celebrating Halloween by canvassing neighborhoods looking for treats. Nor do we think it has anything to do with […]
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...