Arrogance. There’s really no better word for the actions of the Mississippi Legislature in trying to prevent passage of a proposed state constitutional amendment that would require the state to meet its obligations to finance public education. The legislators hardly had time to dust off their chairs in the new legislative session before passing a […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
Now that the hoopla surrounding the introduction of Jake Hill as the new football coach at New Albany High School is over, we want to add our note of welcome. Hill was hired Dec. 12 by the New Albany School Board of Trustees and was introduced, along with his wife and children, at a community […]
The bitter cold weather this week is a reminder that it’s the season for winter problems around the house. House fires, frozen pipes, freezing pets – all the problems that come with winter temperatures we are experiencing. We encourage you to take extra precautions as we begin the real part of our southern winter. Fire […]
We take pride in providing the news in an objective fashion in our news columns. But here in this space we offer our opinion, and provide space in our Letters to the Editor column for yours. As we enter 2015, we want to let you know where we stand on important community issues. We support: […]
The selection of Marquel Conner as the new director for the New Albany Boys and Girls Club was a logical choice. Directors have come and gone, but Conner has worked at the club for more than 10 years. In addition, he was a product of the club growing up. He participated in the club as […]
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. We are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions to support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 40 years. We have set a fundraising […]
If you don’t already have plans for Thursday evening, we have a suggestion for you. Why not come downtown for a stroll, look in a few shops and perhaps have dinner? We make this suggestion for a couple of reasons. First, many of us could use a little exercise, and a walk on a crisp […]
The calendar hasn’t even turned to the election year yet, but political demagoguery already is out of control in Mississippi. Gov. Phil Bryant, apparently wary of a possible primary election challenger from the Tea Party, has embarked on a pattern of attacks about efforts to raise education standards, attacks that are a disservice to our […]
The sale of the Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC dealership in New Albany marks the end of an era that has spanned 95 years. What started with William N. “Newt” Parks Sr. (Bill Parks’ great-grandfather) opening Parks Auto Co. in 1919 and selling Studebakers ended with the sale of the family-owned business to Joe Marshall of Tupelo on […]
University tuition costs are going up again at eight public universities, including the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University. The College Board is about to approve increases that average 3.2 percent, but are 5 percent at both of the two flagship state universities. Tuition and fees at both schools will be about $7,500 a […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...