Our annual event here in New Albany that kicks off spring is happening this Friday and Saturday at the Union County Fairgrounds. It’s the New Albany Home and Garden Show, which is sponsored by the Union County Master Gardeners group with help from the Mississippi State Extension Service. What started on a relatively small scale […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The news that New Albany will be receiving $175,000 in state bond money for use on bicycle trails, continued improvements at BNA Bank Park and related facilities or an outdoor stage provides the Board of Aldermen with interesting options. The city has several needed improvements, but we think a couple should take priority in the […]
The primary election is still more than four months away, but we would think it is a whole lot closer looking around New Albany and Union County. We already are awash in campaign signs, especially near intersections on private property and in some cases on public property. The primary election is scheduled for Aug. 4. […]
The election-year hoopla by Mississippi elected officials about trying to reduce or even eliminate the state income tax has quietly subsided. Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and House Speaker Philip Gunn all trumpeted income tax relief, but in the end the House and Senate could not agree on a plan. Some have speculated […]
What were they thinking? That’s the question we have for board members of the state Institutions of Higher Learning, who decided not to renew the contract of University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones. The group, known as the college board, voted last week to remove Jones from his job in September and, then, after a […]
Spring arrives at 5:45 p.m. Friday, according to the official charts. But for many of us, it sort of arrived Sunday when the sun and the temperature combined for a delightful day. We needed it, too, after snow, ice and seemingly unending rain that made for a somewhat miserable end of winter. Of course, we […]
The New Albany Police Department has decided to replace much of its paperwork normally written out by hand with an electronic system installed in patrol cars. Police Chief Chris Robertson said New Albany will be the first municipality in the state to switch to the e-Citation paperless system that currently is being used by the […]
The Mississippi Legislature has opted to stop meddling with graduation requirements in our schools, wisely leaving the issue with educators and the State Board of Education where it belongs. The Senate Education committee, chaired by Gray Tollison, an Oxford Republican, decided not to consider a bill that already had passed the House 119-0 that would […]
Whew! What a slew of candidates we have who have qualified to run for office in the Aug. 4 primary election. A few months ago we would have predicted a fairly calm, lackluster local election season, but that all had changed by the time the filing deadline passed last Friday. Of course, the announcement by […]
The effort to expand the Union County Heritage Museum suffered a little setback when bids were opened this week on the project. The low bid, submitted by Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis was $1,365,000, which is 35 percent over the budget of $1,011,000 for the expansion, which would more than double the size of the […]
- Annual New Haven fish fry is next Wednesday May 15, 2015
- City schools hire new basketball coach, variety of administrative, teaching and other coaching positions filled May 20, 2015
- Gazette, governmental offices to close for Memorial Day May 20, 2015
- East Union wraps up spring football with scrimmages May 20, 2015
- Gazette, government offices will close Monday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...