The fourth annual Arts, Beats & Eats, one of New Albany’s best social events, is just a couple of days away. It’s set for 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the In Bloom event hall. We expect a big crowd will turn out for this somewhat dressy, upscale event that features juried artists, music, food […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The hoopla surrounding the grand opening is over and now Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County’s new emergency department is busy with patients. The $12 million emergency department, located on the back side of the hospital campus, was scheduled to open at 6 a.m. Monday, but actually saw the first patient at 5:57 a.m. The modern facility […]
Let’s get right to the point: We don’t think the police department in Myrtle needs a drone. We were surprised to see in an item in the Gazette last week that the Town of Myrtle had decided to use $3,000 in federal tax money to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle. These are not the kind […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi,” is under way at the fairgrounds in West New Albany. The traditional fair events are in full swing with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Today is Seniors Day and Youth Night with […]
The question of allowing the sale or consumption of beer and light wine (wine coolers) at special events on city property is expected to be on the August meeting agenda of the New Albany Board of Aldermen. Examples of such events cited by city officials include arts receptions or exhibit openings at the Union County […]
You would have had to be there. Just hearing the story retold doesn’t do it justice. But we’ll try. The New Albany Board of Aldermen spent part of its meeting last week discussing chickens and roosters in residential areas of the city. The topic came up because Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson asked that an […]
Today we celebrate Independence Day. Around the country, we do it in many ways – with a picnic, hot dogs, a parade, fireworks, a family reunion or a concert. For some, perhaps most or all of the above. For others, it may just be a quiet day off from work. However we do it, we […]
The effort of the Union County Development Association to reinvent itself is beginning to pay off. The organization struggled a bit with its mission after much of its traditional work—economic development, marketing and tourism, as well as Tallahatchie RiverFest—was siphoned off to others. But we see progress being made. Under Phil Nanney’s leadership, the group […]
The Republican primary is finally over, and for many Mississippians it brings a sense of relief. Relief from the bitter and often unpleasant political commercials that inundated our airwaves, mostly paid for by groups from who knows where with innocuous names, but not innocuous agendas. But also, for many of us, relief in knowing that […]
Gov. Phil Bryant owes an apology to the state Board of Education, our public schools, their teachers and their students for his latest political demagoguery about efforts to raise our education standards. The governor, apparently believing he had let Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal one-up him in that department, last week called Common Core a “failed […]
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey