The Mississippi House of Representatives has again failed to increase funding for public education to bring the funding level into compliance with state law. The House voted 66-53, mostly along political party lines, to approve a $2.1 billion budget for kindergarten through 12th grade, which is $265 million short of the funding required under the […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
Our Union County Library is having trouble paying its bills and meeting its payroll. That, to us, is a sad situation for an institution that is one of the most important assets of any community. We think you can generally get a pretty good idea of a community and its values by the vitality of […]
The new course put together with the support of the Toyota Wellspring Education Fund will provide an opportunity for high school students to determine whether they have an interest in health care as a career while earning college credit. Twenty or more juniors and seniors in schools in Lee, Pontotoc and Union counties will be […]
The Mississippi House has again blocked an effort to allow voters in school districts with elected superintendents to vote on whether they want to continue that system. The House defeated 66 to 53 a plan that would have allowed voters to decide whether to have an appointed superintendent hired by the school board. Currently, most […]
New Albany and Union County have a decision to make about how competitive we want to be in trying to lure new manufacturers. At the moment, the community has about run out of quality ready-to-use space to accommodate the needs of new industries. Phil Nanney, executive director of the Union County Development Association, told the […]
Mississippi teachers, who are among the lowest paid in the country, would get a $4,250 pay raise spread out over four years under a bill approved by the state House of Representatives Wednesday. The bill still must be considered by the Senate before it would become law, but prospects are considered pretty good. Mississippi teachers […]
The New Albany Hotbed Classic, which has become one of northeast Mississippi’s premiere prep sports events, had another successful outing Saturday at Memorial Gym on the New Albany Middle School campus. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the event, and the tournament, which is sponsored by New Albany Kiwanis Club, has […]
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- Sheli McClellan: Love these kids! They're a hard-working bunch wh...
- http://www.sanctuarymusic.ca/: I all the time emailed this webpage post page to a...
- Erik: Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site regu...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 1 year ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 1 year ago
- Thanks Jay! 1 year ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 1 year ago retweeted via MzTrazey