We’re not often impressed with consultants. Sometimes, we think, they make good money telling you what you already know or what you want to hear. But we think the decision several months ago by the Union County Development Association, backed by the city of New Albany and a local developer, to contract with Retail Strategies […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
One of New Albany’s most well-known regional events is on tap this Saturday in the New Albany Memorial Gym. It’s the 24th annual Kiwanis Hotbed Classic, a premier prep sports event in Northeast Mississippi. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the tournament, which is the granddaddy of them all when it […]
Monday the state Department of Transportation painted new highly visible crosswalks on Bankhead Street at the intersections of Central Avenue, Railroad Avenue and Main Street. We think they will make downtown a little safer for pedestrians and will be helpful to visitors, especially at the Tanglefoot plaza. As we understand it, local resident Logan Rutledge, […]
Arrogance. There’s really no better word for the actions of the Mississippi Legislature in trying to prevent passage of a proposed state constitutional amendment that would require the state to meet its obligations to finance public education. The legislators hardly had time to dust off their chairs in the new legislative session before passing a […]
Now that the hoopla surrounding the introduction of Jake Hill as the new football coach at New Albany High School is over, we want to add our note of welcome. Hill was hired Dec. 12 by the New Albany School Board of Trustees and was introduced, along with his wife and children, at a community […]
The bitter cold weather this week is a reminder that it’s the season for winter problems around the house. House fires, frozen pipes, freezing pets – all the problems that come with winter temperatures we are experiencing. We encourage you to take extra precautions as we begin the real part of our southern winter. Fire […]
We take pride in providing the news in an objective fashion in our news columns. But here in this space we offer our opinion, and provide space in our Letters to the Editor column for yours. As we enter 2015, we want to let you know where we stand on important community issues. We support: […]
The selection of Marquel Conner as the new director for the New Albany Boys and Girls Club was a logical choice. Directors have come and gone, but Conner has worked at the club for more than 10 years. In addition, he was a product of the club growing up. He participated in the club as […]
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. We are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions to support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 40 years. We have set a fundraising […]
If you don’t already have plans for Thursday evening, we have a suggestion for you. Why not come downtown for a stroll, look in a few shops and perhaps have dinner? We make this suggestion for a couple of reasons. First, many of us could use a little exercise, and a walk on a crisp […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...