One of the highlights of the walking tour of historic downtown New Albany is the “Famous Feet” mural on Highland Street. The mural, which was created some years ago by art students supervised by New Albany High School art teacher Lee Ann Thompson, depicts the feet of famous Mississippians. Visitors can try their luck at […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has kicked off its 2014 fundraising campaign by setting a goal of $2,425,000, which is $25,000 more than last year’s goal. The campaign got a quiet start this year as the United Way helped distribute school supplies and backpacks to children throughout the region. In Union County, that has […]
A fourth annual Tallahatchie RiverFest Community Luncheon is approaching and tickets have gone on sale for this event, which will be held Friday, Sept. 26. The kickoff luncheon was begun three years ago to help boost the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which […]
School starts Friday in Union County schools and next Monday in the New Albany schools, which means it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed […]
Two recent items in the news point to the state of the economy in New Albany and Union County. First, our unemployment rate in Union County for June is 6.9 percent, which is the lowest among all the counties in Northeast Mississippi. Lafayette County has historically had the lowest rate. Lafayette’s rate is 7.4 percent. […]
The fourth annual Arts, Beats & Eats, one of New Albany’s best social events, is just a couple of days away. It’s set for 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the In Bloom event hall. We expect a big crowd will turn out for this somewhat dressy, upscale event that features juried artists, music, food […]
The hoopla surrounding the grand opening is over and now Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County’s new emergency department is busy with patients. The $12 million emergency department, located on the back side of the hospital campus, was scheduled to open at 6 a.m. Monday, but actually saw the first patient at 5:57 a.m. The modern facility […]
Let’s get right to the point: We don’t think the police department in Myrtle needs a drone. We were surprised to see in an item in the Gazette last week that the Town of Myrtle had decided to use $3,000 in federal tax money to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle. These are not the kind […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi,” is under way at the fairgrounds in West New Albany. The traditional fair events are in full swing with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Today is Seniors Day and Youth Night with […]
The question of allowing the sale or consumption of beer and light wine (wine coolers) at special events on city property is expected to be on the August meeting agenda of the New Albany Board of Aldermen. Examples of such events cited by city officials include arts receptions or exhibit openings at the Union County […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Campaign kicks off August 15, 2014
- Football, food and a magazine August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?