Below the Gazette reprints eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon’s letter to the editor of New York’s Sun newspaper and the newspaper’s response on Sept. 21, 1897: Dear Editor: I am 8 years old. Some of my friends say there is not Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell opinion
With the Christmas and New Year’s holidays just ahead, it’s an appropriate time to pause a moment to feel good about ourselves for helping others in need. The two large charitable fundraising activities that wind up their efforts about this time of year have done well. The New Albany Gazette’s own Sharing at Christmas fund […]
Last week we were reminded of the importance of those people in our community who volunteer their time and energy to help make our lives and the lives of others better. The occasion was the annual Tree of Love Ceremony at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Each year the hospital’s volunteer auxiliary honors one or more […]
Christmas is two weeks from today and as we head into the final days for last-minute shopping, we would encourage you to check out New Albany shops before deciding to head off somewhere else. There certainly are things you can’t get in New Albany, but we have found that much of our holiday shopping needs […]
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. We need your support for a final push for contributions to support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 41 years. We have set a fundraising […]
The decision by Barbara Tyre to close her downtown store probably is the right one for her, but it will be a loss to her customers, for New Albany and for northeast Mississippi. Barbara said this week she will close her women’s clothing store that has been one of the mainstays of historic downtown New […]
The Union County Library, which struggles to pay its bills and meet its payroll with its meager funding, has received a surprise gift of $235,000 from former resident Ellaine Platek. Little is known about the Youngtown, Ohio, woman who died earlier this year, except she at one time worked at the Stratford Furniture Plant here […]
The streets were clogged with shoppers and they were in a spending mood at the annual Holiday Open House in New Albany Nov. 8. What has become a very successful event over the years was even better this year as folks from Union County, Oxford, Tupelo and lots of other places descended on downtown for […]
The new state test results for English and Algebra back up what most of us in our community already know: We have very good public schools in New Albany and Union County. The results of the Mississippi College and Career-Ready Standards test have been released. Tests were given in English and Algebra. The New Albany […]
We hope you will pause a moment in your day to honor all those who have served in our armed forces. Wednesday is Veterans Day. Veterans Day and Memorial Day are often confused. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all military veterans while Memorial Day honors only those who died while serving in the armed […]
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...