Even I, an avid football fan, have a little trouble sitting through the National Football League’s preseason exhibition games. After the first few minutes, the games turn into an exhibition of rookies, hoping to make the team, and backup players who often just seem to be going through the motions waiting for time to run […]
Tag Archives | Mitchell column
Jenny was prepared for the worst when she was wheeled into her room after bladder surgery at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford and was met by a priest. It must be really bad, she thought, if the Rev. Paul Stephens had driven all the way from Tupelo on Friday to be there when she came […]
We had just started looking at the menus at our favorite Oxford restaurant when our son Joe said he couldn’t find the jambalaya, his favorite there. I started looking for it. It was gone, except on a little list of daily specials. It was a Friday special; this was Saturday. Then I noticed that the […]
Molly the beagle is sprawled out on Jenny’s side of the bed, her head nestled against the pillow. But she is not happy. She thinks she is only Jenny’s dog and Jenny is not here. She will be back Friday evening from a week-long trip to visit her parents in the northern Kentucky suburbs of […]
Fifty years ago, my college friend Dan Dana and I were standing, with our suitcases, beside a road on the outskirts of Kansas City. We were trying to hitch a ride, the beginning of a summer trip to California and back. No, we weren’t crazy, or at least we didn’t think so at the time. […]
Who would have ever thought I would have spent Sunday afternoon watching two teams I know nothing about play football, or what passes for football in the rest of the world? Not me, I can assure you of that. Growing up in the ‘50s in Missouri, I thought I knew quite a bit about sports. […]
Nearly 25 years ago I was given some advice, sort of a warning really, about becoming too dependent on information stored in a computer. The computer technician at the South Carolina newspaper that I was editing at the time suggested keeping a paper copy of anything that was really important in any file on the […]
When I answered the phone last Thursday afternoon, I said, “New Albany Gazette. May I help you?” I smile as I answer the phone, just the way I was trained to do many years ago in a customer-service class on phone etiquette. It creates warmth in your voice and makes a good first impression on […]
Jenny and I were pretty tired by the time we wheeled our bags through U.S customs in Chicago after getting off an eight-hour flight from London. It had been a wonderful two-week vacation in Paris and London, but now we were ready to be home. All that was left was the United Airlines flight from […]
As I look around our yard in New Albany, I find that there’s good news and bad news. The good news is that we’ve have made it through an entire year without killing off any trees. We like trees. Lots of them. One of the things that drew us to the house we bought in […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit August 19, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?