INGOMAR – Ingomar and New Albany met again for the second time in less than a month and the Lady Falcons kept their win streak alive in a took a 56-36 win over the Bulldogs New Albany won the nightcap 70-56. In both games, the winning team took an early lead and never relinquished it. […]
It might seem a bit strange coming on the heels of a winter storm advisory, but we have just observed Mississippi Tornado Preparedness Week. It was Feb. 9-13. The truth is, although many associate tornadoes with springtime, they can occur at any time throughout the year and some of the strongest to hit Union County […]
Most New Albany residents probably don’t realize it but the city is in a nearly unique position in terms of its utilities: “It’s only one of three in the state to own all four of its own utilities,” light, gas and water manager Bill Mattox said (the other two are Canton and Holly Springs). That […]
Union County supervisors are still trying to determine whether the possession of firearms can be prohibited in the courthouse and chancery court building. At the previous week’s meeting, board members said several county officials had received notices from the office of state attorney general Jim Hood that signs prohibiting the possession of firearms in the […]
Solid-waste collection in Union County was cancelled Monday due to bad weather. As a result, the Monday route will be collected Wednesday, Feb. 18, instead. At newspaper deadline time the Tuesday route was expected to be collected as usual. The city garbage routes were not affected.
ELLISTOWN – In their last home game of the season, the Urchins garnered a pair of wins as both squads defeating the Trasher Rebels. The Lady Urchins took a 71-38 victory while the Urchins won in a 85-34 final. The girls opened their game with a 13-2 run, going on to outscore the Lady Rebels […]
Five New Albany Bulldog players have received All-District honors from the 2-4A coaches who selected the team on Wednesday. Among the selections are junior Miles Washington as Defensive MVP. Washington is joined on the team by Jarel Lipsey and Rashad McWilliams while Reggie McWilliams was awarded an Honorable Mention. For the Lady Dawgs, Samantha Bridges […]
With the advent of severe weather season, Union County Emergency Management Director Curt Clayton is urging anyone who has not done so to sign up for the CodeRED program. CodeRED is a service that makes automated phone calls alerting citizens to dangerous weather conditions or other threatening or unusual situations. One of its most important […]
After years of the program’s being dormant, New Albany aldermen heard from the recently-reactivated Historic Preservation Commission formally for the first time at their monthly meeting Tuesday. Laura Dunnam spoke on behalf of the commission (which is also the city’s parking committee). “We just wanted to present some things presented to us and find the […]
Mississippi has the highest prevalence of heart disease not only in the U. S. but also all of the United States Territories. Mississippi also has the third-worst record for stroke-related deaths. While we can do nothing about many heart disease risk factors, there are plenty of others that can be controlled. Monday, Dr. Darrell Sneed […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry