Union County supervisors opened bids Monday for a project to renovate the Union County-MSU Extension Office at the fairgrounds, but it was not clear whether the project would proceed. The concrete block building, more than 60 years old, has interior wall damage, ceiling damage and water drainage problems in that it sits on a flat […]
Delta blues. Mention “blues” and most people immediately think of the Delta. But Scott Barretta is trying to change that. He wants to make the world more aware of the influences on the blues in other parts of the state and even the world. That certainly includes the Mississippi Hill Country. One way that is […]
After nearly two months of busy political activity the qualifying period for county, regional and state offices will end at 5 p.m. this Friday. Only one new local candidate qualified in the past week but election officials say it is common for some candidates to wait until the last day to file. The most recent […]
Staff reports An Etta truck driver apparently died this past week as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Dead is Anthony Wayne Azlin, 44. Azlin, an Air Force veteran and Paramedic, also drove for Pinedale Trucking. He was last reported to be at a weigh station in Hope, Ark. and family members became concerned […]
Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley will hold a Town Hall meeting on Thursday, March 26, at the Union County Circuit Courtroom located at 114 East Bankhead Street, New Albany, from 6 until 7 p.m. This meeting is free, and the public is invited to attend. “I want to give the people in Union […]
The blast of winter weather forced the postponement of the Girls North playoffs scheduled on Monday for four Union County area teams. All of the contests are rescheduled for Wednesday, weather permitting. Here is a listing of the games and the rescheduled dates and times: Wednesday, February 25 6:00 – Mound Bayou JFK at Ingomar […]
The Mississippi Senate has wisely backed away from insisting that the state Board of Education adopt educational standards to be developed by a 27-member board created by the Legislature. On a 17-13 vote the Senate defeated a Tea-Party supported proposal that would have prevented the state board from continuing with the Common Core academic standards, […]
Recent installation of crossing gates for the BNSF Railroad line where it intersects with Moss Hill Drive has fueled speculation about whether this is part of establishing a “quiet zone” in the downtown area. Mayor Tim Kent said it is not, however, just something one department of the railroad was planning to do and those […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors had one of their briefer meetings on record Tuesday, dealing with only a handful of agenda items. They voted to reject bids received this past week on pickup trucks the county planned to sell, but accepted the high bids on five tractors also put up for sale. They though […]
The Gazette has been able to keep a list of candidates for local offices up-to-date at least partly because those candidates qualify with the county circuit clerk’s office. Those running for district and state offices, however, usually have to qualify with the state executive committees of their respective political parties in Jackson. So far, the […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry