It’s that time of year when you will lose an hour’s sleep…but the days will suddenly seem longer because you gain an hour of daylight. That’s because Daylight Saving Time takes effect at 2 a.m., Sunday, March 8. The time change, observed by most but not all U. S. states (Arizona and Hawaii don’t use […]
The effort to expand the Union County Heritage Museum suffered a little setback when bids were opened this week on the project. The low bid, submitted by Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis was $1,365,000, which is 35 percent over the budget of $1,011,000 for the expansion, which would more than double the size of the […]
The board of directors of the Union County Historical Society opened bids Tuesday for a $1.6-million planned expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum, disappointed to find the lowest bid about 35 percent higher than expected. The apparent low bidder was Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis, submitting a base price of $1,365,000. Board members were […]
Today is the final day candidates can qualify to run for office in the upcoming county party primaries Aug. 4. Those who want to enter a race at the last minute would do well not to wait until nearly 5 p.m., however. That’s particularly true for an independent candidate. Candidates declaring a party affiliation just […]
The National Weather Service has a wide array of technology at its disposal but a critical part of its storm-warning capability remains simple and somewhat old-fashioned. That’s sets of eyes on the ground. “Spotters play a very important role in storm warning,” Gary Woodall, with the Memphis office of the weather service said. While radar […]
New Albany and Union County are already growing as an arts community and working to become a part of the “creative economy” philosophy being promoted by state tourism officials. One of the plusses here is that we have three members of the Craftsmen’s Guild of Mississippi: Tommy Sappington, Allen Stanford and Charles Buster. New Albany […]
Gov. Phil Bryant Tuesday set May 12 as the date for the special election to fill the 1st District U.S. House of Representatives seat left vacant by the death of Alan Nunnelee. Nunnelee, a Republican from Tupelo, died on Feb. 6 from cancer. He had just been elected to a third term. The election will […]
INGOMAR – Late in the fourth quarter, Ingomar trailed Coldwater in the first round of the Class 1A state playoffs. Not only did the Falcons need a big play, they needed someone to step up and lead the team. They got both in senior Laquain Foster, who turned a turnover earned by Ingomar’s defense into […]
OKOLONA – East Union started out hot on Tuesday, sinking five three-pointers in the opening minutes of their Class 2A playoff game, but the Urchins came up short losing 70-55 to the Okolona Chieftains. East Union’s 17-16 lead at the end of the first quarter was led by the efforts of Hunter Nobles, who earned […]
Hickory Flat’s playoff run ended on Tuesday as the Rebels lost 80-64 to John F. Kennedy High School in the Hornets’ second half comeback. Rebels leading scorers Randtail Isom and Hunter Mason both posted double-doubles in their final game. Isom scored 29 points and earned 10 rebounds, while Mason added 23 points and 10 rebounds. […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry