It’s hard to think of the Union County Fair without Stanley Wise, but we are going to have to get used to it. Wise retired last Thursday as Mississippi State’s Union County Extension Director, ending nearly 30 years of work with extension service, the last 15 here in Union County. During Wise’s tenure the fair, […]
New Albany school trustees approved salary schedules for the coming year Monday, but only after close to 90 minutes’ discussion in closed session. The board also approved a list of specific resignations and hires much more quickly and heard updates on several continuing projects. Those projects included planned improvements to the New Albany Boys and […]
A money-saving effort by recently-appointed Mississippi Department of Corrections Commissioner Marshall Fisher may leave Union County without a low-cost workforce it has depended on: jail trusties. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards shared a letter with supervisors Monday that he had received from Fisher saying the MDOC budget approved by the legislature was $23 million less than requested. […]
The New Albany Main Street Association’s next Live @ Noon series event will be on May 16 from 12 to 2 p.m. on the Trailhead Plaza in downtown New Albany. Stephanie Jackson will be the musical performer. Jackson is an eclectic musician who uses her guitar to express heartfelt melodies from a variety of genres. […]
An Illinois-based manufacturing company announced Friday that it has acquired the operating assets of the New Albany’s impact extrusion facility, Worthington Cylinders. Spokesmen with Thunderbird LLC, located in Elk Grove Village, Ill., said the facility will be renamed Metal Impact South LLC and join with Metal Impact LLC, one of its subsidiaries. The New Albany […]
After 28 years of work, Stanley Wise is officially retired. He worked in Lafayette County for one year, Quitman County for two years, Alcorn County for 10 years, ad he spent the last 15 years working as the Union County Extension Agent for the Mississippi State University Extension Service. A retirement reception was held Monday […]
After only being in his position for approximately six months, Boys and Girls Club of New Albany Unit Director Marquel Conner won the Boys and Girls Club of North Mississippi 2014 Full-Time Professional of the Year award. Conner was awarded this honor recently at the all-state training conference in Tupelo. “I was shocked to receive […]
Here in New Albany we take great pride in our public schools and in our students and their accomplishments. One of the ways we recognize those accomplishments is the annual high school graduation ceremony. We are a close-knit community and each year many of our residents turn out to support a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors moved ahead on three major projects involving nearly $5 million this week: one related to industrial development and two connected to the county road system. No one was present to object at a public hearing concerning the application for a Community Development Block Grant of up to $1.5 million […]
The amount of money distributed this year by the United Way of Northeast Mississippi to agencies that serve Union County was a pleasant surprise. The United Way distributed $90,704 to 27 agencies, which is 50 percent more than the $60,525 last year. Last year was a low point in recent memory; the year before $77,405 […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry