Thomas J. Scott, 82, of Pontotoc, died Thursday, July 4, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House. He was born in Union County on May 15, 1931, to Robert and Bessie Scott. He retired out of the Air Force after serving during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. He also retired from Lane Furniture after 20 years of […]
Mattie Jean Jones, 70, of Myrtle, died Tuesday, July 2, 2013, at her home. She was born Feb. 15, 1943, to Todd Massey and Willie Mae Wade Massey in Holly Springs. Services were at 2 p.m. Saturday, July 6, at Reid’s Gift Church in Potts Camp with the Rev. Jerry Lee Williams officiating. Burial was […]
Verna C. Grimes, 88, died Thursday, June 27, 2013, at her home. She was a member of Zion Chapel M.B. Church, where she was in charge of the benevolent fund and helped with Vacation Bible School for several years. She is survived by Mavis Johnson; her stepson, Martin David Grimes of Tacoma, Wash.; her stepdaughters, […]
By Martha Swindle Newly elected officials were sworn-in Tuesday, July 2, at Sherman Town Hall. Judge Jim Roberts officially presented the oath of office individually to Mayor Ben Logan and Aldermen Randy Bolen, Wayne Bullock, Todd McDonald, Martha Swindle, and Mike Swords. Afterwards, friends and family visited and enjoyed a light reception. Between 400 and […]
By Lou McQuary Kathryn Henderson enjoyed a trip to visit with her daughter, Michelle Thompson, in Bay St. Louis from Thursday, June 27, until Tuesday, July 2. Michelle treated her mother to a meal at Ralph and Kacoo’s in New Orleans to celebrate Kathryn’s birthday. Michelle and Kathryn went to visit with a friend that […]
By Susan Hooker I stopped by the community center on the Fourth of July to look at the veterans’ sidewalk and to enjoy the landscaping around the monument as the flags caught my attention. The monument was presented in 2009 by Jack and June Dorrough Ezell in memory of Quitman Dorrough. They volunteer with a […]
By Martha Hardy Greetings from the loveliest corner of the world. Here is hoping all is well in your corner of the world and that everyone had a safe and happy Independence Day. It was very quite on Hardy’s Hill as our folks who usually join Austin and me only had one day off work […]
New Albany Wine and Spirits held its formal ribbon-cutting ceremony this past Friday. The store, at 700 W. Bankhead, is in the old Giles Truck Stop building, more recently home to Betty’s Buffet and the Old Hwy. 78 Café. Owner-Manager Ira Williams, who also has the Pizza Pit, said the store has about 350 wine […]
We deal with sports in this column on a weekly basis and it is easy to identify certain sports figures as “heroes” or “role models”. Now it is not only sports that this occurs, virtually every situation or field has people that are looked up to whether it be musicians, actors, leaders in the field […]
Parents of college students in Mississippi will feel more pinch this fall as the state’s universities increase in-state tuition by an average of more than 6 percent. Costs will go up even more at the state’s two major universities. Mississippi State tuition for two semesters will be $6,772, up 8.1 percent, and the University of […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Ground game leads Bulldogs to win over Pontotoc September 5, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry