The Tallahatchie River Players will present “Driving Miss Daisy” August 15-17 at 7 p.m. each night. “Driving Miss Daisy” by Alfred Uhry is a play set in the Deep South covering many years starting in 1948 through 1973. Daisy Werthan, played by Cathy Garrett, a rich sharp-tongued Jewish widow of 72, is informed by her […]
The Union County Farm Service Agency announces that the election for County Committee member from Local Administrative Area 2 has begun. Landowners and producers of agricultural products may nominate a producer from LAA-2 to serve a 3-year term on the COC, the nomination period started June17 and ends Aug. 1. LAA-2 includes Ingomar, Bald Hill, […]
We learned with considerable surprise this week that New Albany now has a marketing director. Apparently aldermen had been discussing the idea for many months, but not at any meetings I attended. Local governments still have a tendency to do most of their horse-trading and rat-killing outside public meetings and that is not likely to […]
Winners of the Lil Ms. Trail Blazer pageant were, from left, Stella Jo Porch, daughter of Chase and Jordan Porch, third; Kyla Porch, daughter of Keegan and Charlie Porch, second; and Brianna Voyles, daughter of Brian and Brittney Voyles, winner. Winners of the Lil Mr. Trail Blazer pageant were, from left, Ryder Neal, son of […]
The winner in the variety act category of the junior division was Haley Cockrell of Ripley, who sang “Pulled.” Second was MacKenzie Huffstatler of Walnut who sang “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus. Youth division entrants are considered for competition in the Mid-South Fair but may call fair officials to ask about being included. Winner of […]
The GumTree Quilters Guild will host a Quilter’s Bed Turning and Quilt Show on Saturday, August 24, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Tupelo at 608 W. Jefferson St, All Saints Episcopal Church, Parish Hall. Admission is $3.00. This will be an exhibit of quilts and quilt-related items of individual projects made by the […]
By Adam Ganucheau Daily Journal SALTILLO – The location of an American white pelican that was shot last week remains unknown, despite multiple calls to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. An investigation into the shooting is ongoing, according to MDWFP Officer Richard Stephen, but officials are not optimistic that the shooter will […]
The City of New Albany now has a marketing director. Mayor Tim Kent said the Board of Aldermen hired New Albany native Sean Johnson for the post at an adjourned meeting Thursday. Johnson now serves as marketing director for the Tupelo Convention and Visitors’ Bureau. Kent said aldermen had been discussing the move since about […]
Tuition funding a challenge but Northeast still good value for Union County students, president tells supervisors
Budget time is rolling around again for city aldermen and county supervisors and this is when various organizations who receive local government funding come to make their cases to officials. Monday, Northeast Mississippi Community College President Johnny Allen visited Union County Supervisors, not so much asking for funds as giving a report on the value […]
Liberty School meeting Liberty school August meeting and pizza and dessert dinner will be Tuesday, August 20 beginning at 6:00 p.m. Entertainment will be provided. Everyone is welcome. NAACP announces August meeting The Union County NAACP will hold their monthly meeting on Monday, Aug. 12, at 6:00 p.m. at Watson Grove Baptist Church. The meeting […]
- All in a week’s work October 6, 2015
- Lady Urchins sweep and finish perfect in division October 8, 2015
- Urchins travel to Mantachie for key division contest October 8, 2015
- Master Gardener Pat James becomes pumpkin man October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- Union County cross country results October 10, 2015
- Big plays sink the Urchins October 10, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs route Byhalia for first division win October 10, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on