By GENE PHELPS Daily Journal TUPELO – New Albany coach Shay Ashford hates losing, but Thursday’s close high school volleyball loss to Tupelo – her alma mater – didn’t sting so bad. The visiting Lady Bulldogs, a second-year program, gave the Lady Wave a fight before falling 3-0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-20). “I don’t like to […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sometimes things are just completely inexplicable and seem to defy any sort of logic. I witnessed one of the strangest events in my life during the Union County Slow Pitch Softball Tournament at BNA Bank Park on Saturday. Now I was not the only person to see this; several of us in attendance discussed it. […]
By Dennis Clayton East Union boys took first among 2A Boys in the Tupelo Christian Preparatory School Invitational on Saturday. East Union placed three runners in the top 41 as Jordan Salmon, Zane Wilkinson and Zach Rowan all ran in the 20s in the boys 5K event. The Urchins had a total of six runners […]
by Dennis Clayton West Union’s Lady Eagles overcame their lack of offense with some serious defense to claim the title of Union County Champs in Saturday’s slow pitch softball tournament at BNA Bank Park. The Lady Eagles scored 14 runs in four games, but only gave up 3 runs to opponents. All of those runs […]
Bulldogs suffer 38-13 setback to Water Valley By Jay Tidwell Special to the News Exchange NEW ALBANY – Devin Wilson is spending this week improving himself and his teammates. The junior running back led New Albany with 63 yards on 11 carries – one for a touchdown – against Water Valley last Friday, but it […]
East Union runs to win over Houlka By Dennis Clayton East Union had several new faces in the lineup and in the backfield, but that didn’t prevent them from running over and around the visiting Houlka Wildcats on Friday night. Coach Scott Duley said “I thought our boys showed a lot of heart and it […]
by Dennis Clayton The fall sports season is officially here. New Albany got their football season started with a two quarter jamboree game at Kossuth. The teams battled to a 0-0 tie. Both offenses made some ball movement, but both were unsuccessful in denting the scoreboard. Coach Ron Price said “We knew coming in what […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange New Albany Middle School head football coach Nickey Nance understands what it takes to cultivate a winning environment. Nance, who majored in agricultural education at Miss. State, was a successful head high school coach at Falkner, his alma mater. He is in his second year at New Albany, […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Kevin Williams has set high standards for Ingomar’s cross-country teams this season, in part because of local rivalries. “Union County has excelled in cross-country, and Ingomar has one of the youngest programs in terms of the number of years we’ve been running and have been participating,” said Williams, […]
- Lady Eagles fly past Lady Rebels September 28, 2015
- Gooch and Thompson power Lady Falcons to win October 1, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on