It seems like only a few weeks ago that I was given the green light to cover sports for the school year for this paper. Actually, it was mid-August right before the first football game, but my how the time has flown. We flew through the fall sports with football, slow-pitch softball, cross country, and […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
By Joanna Madding Tallahatchie Tidal Waves Swim Team of New Albany/Union County had one of their own participate in his third triathlon – and he’s only six years old. Swimming is one of the fastest growing sports and is one that can be promoted as a lifelong skill. Let’s say he’s using his lifelong skill […]
By Joanna Manning The second leading cause of death in children ages 14 and under is accidental drowning. Did you know that? Another staggering set of statistics include ten people die a day from drowning accidents. Preventable? Possibly made better with formal swimming lessons. Over 70 percent of African Americans, 60 percent of Latinos, and […]
By Gene Phelps/NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – This year’s state championship was a lot sweeter for New Albany High School tennis twins Christopher and Christian Scott. The brothers, sporting their trademark mohawk haircuts, defeated St. Stanislaus’ Mitchell Walk and James Luffey 6-3, 6-4 Tuesday to clinch the Bulldogs’ 5-2 victory in the MHSAA Tennis Championships […]
Much has been made of making a “comeback” in the realm of sports and this past week’s games involving East Union baseball and West Union softball seemed to fit the bill. Both teams showed the resolve and determination necessary to stage differing types of comebacks by the respective teams. Let’s start with East Union since […]
For one to say this has been a wet spring would be an understatement. Our spring sports have been plagued from practically day one with rain, cold, and even snow. We have seen quite a difference from last year’s almost balmy temperatures and sunny days. I have a coworker that has said that if it […]
Here we are at the final playoff season of the 2012-2013 school year and at this writing some games and matches have been decided. I just wanted to toss out a reminder for those of us who are fans and that being the fact that actually one play really doesn’t decide the outcome of a […]
Seated L-R Agnes Spears, Jazmine Spears, Standing L-R Coast AnnaLisa Powell, Head Coach John Stroud, Curtis Spears and Coach Shay Ashford. Jazmine Spears of New Albany signed a Basketball scholarship with Mississippi State this morning. More to come on this story.
West Union and Myrtle met for a division softball contest for the second day in a row and the final result was the same with the Lady Eagles taking a 12-2 win that clinched first place. Tuesday’s game was exactly like Monday’s as far as the big inning to break open the game. West Union […]
Posted: April 16, 2013 | Author: denclayton | Filed under: High School Sports |Leave a comment » Brittany Taylor of West Union struck out seven while giving up 10 hits and 3 runs against Myrtle. Myrtle and West Union entered Monday’s clash between county rivals unbeaten in division play. Naturally someone had to take sole possession of first and on this night it […]
- A drone in Myrtle? July 18, 2014
- Union County Fair pageant winners July 18, 2014
- County plans extension office renovation, courthouse roof repair but reports no progress in mental health issue July 23, 2014
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- Interns invaluable for county heritage museum July 25, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweeviles July 25, 2014
- USA swim rep visits Tallahatchie Tidal Wave July 25, 2014
- The Extra Point: Basketball championship expansion a miss July 25, 2014
- County school board election coming up July 25, 2014
- State residents to get yearly back-to-school purchasing ‘tax holiday’ July 25, 2014
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- Sheli McClellan: Love these kids! They're a hard-working bunch wh...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey