Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
by Dennis Clayton The fall sports season is officially here. New Albany got their football season started with a two quarter jamboree game at Kossuth. The teams battled to a 0-0 tie. Both offenses made some ball movement, but both were unsuccessful in denting the scoreboard. Coach Ron Price said “We knew coming in what […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange New Albany Middle School head football coach Nickey Nance understands what it takes to cultivate a winning environment. Nance, who majored in agricultural education at Miss. State, was a successful head high school coach at Falkner, his alma mater. He is in his second year at New Albany, […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Kevin Williams has set high standards for Ingomar’s cross-country teams this season, in part because of local rivalries. “Union County has excelled in cross-country, and Ingomar has one of the youngest programs in terms of the number of years we’ve been running and have been participating,” said Williams, […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Myrtle head coach Chris Greer is optimistic about his cross-country squad’s potential this year. The Hawks will regularly run against some of the fastest teams in Class 1A North, including county-rivals Ingomar and West Union, as well as Hickory Flat, which moved down this season from Class 2A. […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange A few key relocations has head coach Josh Blythe feeling good about East Union’s slow-pitch squad. “Since last season, we’ve had two move back to East Union and they’ll both be seniors – Katey Hunt and Savannah Alexander,” Blythe said. “Having those two girls back will be key, […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Marty Cook is eager to begin his first season as head coach of Myrtle’s slow-pitch softball team. The fast-pitch head coach takes over the top position in slow-pitch after Robert Gordon stepped aside to spend more time with family. “Coach Gordon is a legend – 300 wins and […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Andy Wilbanks described the outlook for Ingomar’s slow-pitch season as a youth movement. With a half-dozen positions left open by graduation, the Lady Falcons are hoping for underclassmen to step into starting roles. “We are going to be pretty young,” said Wilbanks, who is beginning his eighth season […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Scott Duley will have the luxury of a returning D.J. Armstrong for a fourth consecutive year as quarterback. In fact, Armstrong is the only quarterback Duley has ever had in his four year run as Union County (two years) and East Union (two years) coach. “D.J. Armstrong has been the quarterback […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange During the past two seasons, New Albany could count on quarterback Spencer Day to lead the offense through the air and running back Boston Newsome to take care of business on the ground. As seniors in 2012, they helped the Bulldogs capture the Division 2-4A football championship. Head […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...