This primary year may not have been kind to some local incumbents but state and district officials did very well. Basically, every one of those races saw either an unopposed incumbent or an incumbent who won easily in his or her party (mostly Republican). Union County voters were in line with the state trends, supporting […]
The races for supervisor, sheriff and school superintendent may have grabbed headlines but other important offices were decided on Tuesday that potentially affect the lives of all citizens. Those are those of the justice court system and include East and West Post judges and constables. The East Post judge’s job is one of the other […]
New Albany aldermen held a brief, half-hour meeting Tuesday, but if they did not handle much business they indicated they are getting ready to do so. On the table for the next meeting is consideration of a new set of subdivision regulations, possible amendment to building regulations governing use of metal exteriors, the limited-parking downtown […]
(These numbers do not include absentee and affidavit ballots, although news storied in the Gazette do.)
Ken Basil, incumbent in the race for Union County Superintendent, will face Dr. Loretta Hartfield in a runoff of the Democratic Party on Tuesday, Aug. 25. Basil, who nears the end of his second term in the office, received 1,918 votes in Tuesday’s primary, or 46 percent, while Dr. Hartfield received 1,172 votes, or 28 […]
Regardless of any other outcome, it was clear that Union County would have at least two new supervisors next year with longtime Third District Supervisor Danny Jordan and Fifth District Supervisor Benny Rakestraw announcing their retirement. Neither race will be decided until the Nov. 3 general election but having such large numbers of candidates has […]
Incumbent sheriff Jimmy Edwards won the Democratic primary Tuesday and will face Republican Greg Elder in the Nov. 3 general election. Elder was unopposed in the Republican primary. Edwards received 4,418 votes for 70.2 percent in contrast to Wilhite’s 1,861 votes, or 29.6 percent. The race received a lot of attention because an incumbent sheriff […]
This column originally appeared in the Oct. 27, 2010 Gazette. The weekend turned out all right, I suppose. At least I wasn’t too tired to get up and go to work Monday. Based on my experience with air travel in recent years, it could have been otherwise. It all started several months ago when a […]
This Saturday Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will hold one of its major community outreach events of the year. It’s the Back-to-School Health Fair, which will be held from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the hospital. More than 1,000 people, including as many as 700 children, are expected to turn out for a free health […]
One might think of the New Albany schools professional development program Monday morning as a sort of pep rally for educators. If that is accurate, the main cheerleader was well chosen in Dr. Mark Keenum, president of Mississippi State University and a strong advocate for better education. Speaking to the auditorium full of teachers and […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Ground game leads Bulldogs to win over Pontotoc September 5, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry