Heard turns medical setback into ministry of encouragement Dennis Clayton Sportswriter A busy life with sports kept Bre Anna Heard going for most of her life. Besides teaching responsibilities at West Union Attendance Center, Heard was an assistant coach for the Lady Eagles slow-pitch and fast-pitch as well as a volunteer for the girls’ basketball […]
Working together pays off. That was the take away from Thursday’s announcement that Emerald Home Furnishings of Tacoma, Wash., will be locating a manufacturing plant in New Albany. The project, which has been being put together for a long time, is the culmination of efforts by the city, the county, the Union County Development Association, […]
Gov. Phil Bryant was in New Albany Wednesday to announce that Washington State-based furniture manufacturer Emerald Home Furnishings has chosen this community as its new plant location. The company will renovate and then move into the former Hickory Springs plant (Denton Mills prior to that) in the Denmill Industrial Park southeast of town. The park […]
Perhaps as many as 100 mailboxes in the Alpine and Jericho areas of eastern Union County were vandalized Monday night and Sheriff Jimmy Edwards is urging anyone who suffered damage to call his office. Three juveniles are in custody charged with the damage. “We started getting reports even before daylight of damage to mailboxes,” Edwards […]
Organizers were once again pleased with the Down From the Hills music festival and state bluegrass competition this past weekend. This year the event was moved from the fairgrounds and more vendors and bands were added to the lineup, as well as a farm-to-table dinner. “Great spring weather and a good crowd made for a […]
Police have released the name of the person killed in a freak accident on Hwy. 30 East during a storm Monday. Chief Chris Robertson said the victim was Maria Melendez, 62, of 1016 King’s Road, New Albany. The accident happened shortly before 5:15 p.m. just west of the Tate Avenue intersection on Hwy. 30. Robertson […]
A traffic stop Monday night led to seizure of about 12 grams of crystal methamphetamine and more than $1,500 in cash. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said deputies pulled over a vehicle with three individuals inside in the Fairfield area. The K-9 officer alerted on the vehicle and a search uncovered the methamphetamine. Further investigation led to […]
A Ripley man was jailed in Union County this week after apparently giving in to the temptation of a crime of opportunity. Daniel Lennie Rogers, 43, of 1221A CR 624 Ripley, has been charged with commercial burglary. His bond was set at $10,000. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Rogers is a logger who was working for […]
Union County supervisors got a little good news Tuesday during an update from E-911 Coordinator Mildred Churchill. She was telling them that the installation of a long-needed update to the emergency telephone system was proceeding and that a site review was scheduled for Thursday for the power supply for a third dispatch position. Apparently due […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry