The Union County School District was once again recognized among the top school districts in the state of Mississippi when it was the recipient of the Lighthouse School Leader Beacon Award in late November. The award, which the school district has been honored with two out of the past four years, was accepted by Union […]
A pleasant surprise for New Albany fans has been the recent play of the girls basketball team. Currently 8-0 with two games until division play, the Lady Bulldogs have performed well with a young team. Their most recent win came at Corinth last Tuesday, 70-60. Corinth held a two-point lead after the first quarter, and […]
New Albany 4 North Pontotoc 1 (Girls) The Lady Bulldogs picked up another win Friday night, as they defeated the North Pontotoc Lady Vikings 4-1. The first goal for New Albany was scored by Shelby Brown, who was unassisted. That first score was followed with a second by Jenna Davis on a feed from Brown. […]
Myrtle 77 East Union 59 A tale of two halves would be the best way to describe the in-county match-up between Myrtle and East Union. Coming off their first loss of the season, Myrtle looked to rebound against the struggling Urchins, but a great effort by Coach Tim McDonald’s squad gave the Hawks a hard […]
November is American Diabetes Month and is a great time to bring awareness and attention to the disease of diabetes and the importance of diabetes control. According to the American Diabetes Association Web site, “There are 23.6 million children and adults in the United States, or 7.8% of the population, who have diabetes. While an […]
Humble, soft-spoken Christopher Raines uses his knowledge of carpentry to build elaborate theatrical sets for the Ole Miss Theatre Department. A 2003 graduate of Myrtle Attendance Center, Raines always enjoyed carpentry as a child when he learned construction from his uncle and grandpa. He said that he enjoys theatre because of the people in the […]
Union County will soon be designated as a stop on the Mississippi Blues Trail. Blues musicians Sam Mosley, Bob Johnson and Billy Ball from Billy Ball and the Upsetters will all be recognized on a newly placed Mississippi Blues Commission blues marker near the Union County Heritage Museum. Union County natives Sam Mosley and Robert […]
During its Monday, Nov. 17 public meeting, the New Albany board of aldermen announced that it decided to uphold its earlier termination of former New Albany Parks and Recreation Director Edgar Capaning. Monday’s meeting had been set during the board’s Nov. 4 meeting due to many citizens’ concerns and questions regarding the manner in which […]
Mr. and Mrs. Marvin P. Jarrett of Shady Grove will be honored on their 60th wedding anniversary on Sunday, November 30, 2008 with a reception from 2-3 p.m. at their home. The celebration will be hosted by their children and grandchildren. All friends and relatives are invited.
Dr. and Mrs. Eddie Jackson Grisham are proud to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter Beth Christina Grisham of Augusta, Ga. to Kevin Benjamin Cowart of Thomson, Ga., son of Mr. and Mrs. Benje L. Cowart of Thomson, Ga. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Mr. Herbert Thomas and the late Mrs. […]
New Albany residents and business owners have recently seen a light or dark brown discoloration in the water. This discoloration is not harmful to drink or use unless the water is brown and laundry is done. In that case, the laundry might turn brown as well. Harold Smith, manager of New Albany Light, Gas and […]
Students attending Northeast Mississippi Community College (NEMCC) in the spring semester will have the ability to take hybrid courses. According to the 2009 NEMCC student handbook, “NEMCC hybrid courses combine traditional face-to-face classroom instruction with internet-based distance education. This is the first time that courses like this have ever been offered at Northeast.” NEMCC […]
Bowling season is underway in Union County, as both East Union and West Union have started their seasons. The Lady Eagles opened their title defense with a sweep the Lady Urchins 8-0 to open the season, while the Eagles completed the sweep with the 6-2 win over the defending state champs. Lady Eagle Jenna Nolley […]
Myrtle 84 Hickory Flat 67 Amber Williamson and Aspriona Gilbert once again were the go-to girls for the Lady Hawks, as Myrtle picked up their eighth win of the year defeating Hickory Flat Tuesday night. Williamson had a team high 37, while Gilbert added 26 in the winning effort. Myrtle came out shooting hot early, […]
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey