Sheriff’s deputies arrested an Etta man Monday, charging him with seven counts of sexual battery. Brad Martin, 36, of 2046 State Hwy. 30 West, remained in custody with bond set at $350,000 during Monday’s initial appearance. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the bond was so high because of the potential severity of a sentence upon conviction. […]
A Memphis man was in Union County Jail Wednesday, accused of trying to take a car at knifepoint. Jerry Martize Mason, 40, is charged with attempted armed robbery and his bond was set at $50,000. Police investigator Jeff Chism said the incident happened about 4 a.m. Wednesday at the Kangaroo on Hwy. 15 South. According […]
Three Northeast Mississippi men were jailed here this week, possibly ending a spree of burglaries that occurred in three Mississippi counties and one on Tennessee. “There may be even more that we don’t know about,” Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said. “That’s why we hope people will read this because the news can be a good tool.” […]
Residents at New Albany Health and Rehab collected and packed school supplies to donate to New Albany Elementary School for the benefit of needy first-grade students starting next week. Accepting, left, is New Albany Elementary Principal Jamey Wright. Seated, from left, are residents Christine Bates, Lornene Catt and Doris Brogdon. Standing is Haley Brown, associate […]
Fall classes begin today and Monday at Union County and New Albany schools, and with school comes homework. Parents may want to help, but teaching methods have changed several times over the years so the older generation cannot count on a child’s having the same learning experience they did. One New Albany math teacher and […]
The 2014 Republican Senate primary still isn’t over. Tea Party candidate for the U. S. Senate Chris McDaniel formally announced Monday that he is going to appeal the results of the June 24 Republican runoff. Rather than asking for a new election, the two-term Ellisville state senator is asking the state Republican Executive Committee to […]
By JB Clark Daily Journal MYRTLE – A Blue Springs woman was killed early Wednesday morning when a train collided with her vehicle at a Myrtle railroad crossing. Nina Lyles, 51, of Blue Springs, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Union County Coroner Pam Bowman. Bowman said the vehicle was not identifiable due […]
Brian Crockett was named Best in Show Artist and Lee Ann Thompson was chosen Most Creative Artist at this year’s “Arts, Beats & Eats” event sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association. Manning LLC was selected Best in Show Restaurant for its barbecue. “We had a great turnout,” Main Street Manager Vickie Duke said. […]
By Angie Barmer Students at New Albany Middle School will have new laptops for their classroom this Fall. At the school board meeting Thursday night, school board member Bernice Bailey made the motion to approve the recommendation to approve a three-year lease of 240 laptops for NAMS from Howard Technology Solutions/CalFirst in the amount of […]
By Angie Barmer The New Albany City Beautification Committee met last week to discuss upcoming projects. A discussion was had on the future landscaping-based city beautification projects, including, but not limited to, planting trees along Bankhead Street and doing landscaping and all of the entrances and exits to New Albany. Jean Ashcraft made the motion […]
Tickets are now on sale for the fourth annual Tallahatchie RiverFest Kickoff Community Luncheon, which will be held Friday, Sept. 26, in the event hall of First United Methodist Church. John H. Hailman, author of a new book and a federal prosecutor in Mississippi for more than 30 years, will be the speaker. He will […]
Wednesday, Aug. 6, begins the 30-day period during which candidates may qualify to run for the Fifth County School District seat on the board of trustees. Qualifying ends at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5. The race will be on the Nov. 5 general election ballot, along with candidates for the U. S. Senate, House of […]
Union County supervisors took the next step Monday in trying to get funds to renovate the County Extension Office at the fairgrounds. They formally approved the grant application discussed previously seeking $150,000 from the Small Municipalities and Limited Population Counties Program under the Mississippi Development Authority to help pay for the project. The Extension office […]
School starts Friday in Union County schools and next Monday in the New Albany schools, which means it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Incumbent Mahon qualifies in county school board race August 20, 2014
- Barretos to be brought back later this week August 20, 2014
- Football, food and a magazine August 20, 2014
- Campaign kicks off August 15, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Area teams play in West Union classic preseason tournament August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?