The Union County School District’s community-wide program has been re-scheduled for 6 p.m., Tuesday, May 13, at Ingomar Attendance Center. Topics to be discussed will include the new Common Core Standards, PARCC Assessment and Block Scheduling. This information should be of particular value to parents concerned about their child’s education. The meeting was originally set […]
In addition to rolling out a plethora of Toyota Corollas every day, the Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Mississippi, Inc. facility in Blue Springs is also deemed the model sustainable assembly plant for North American operations. This is due to the many environmental and sustainability practices that are in place every day at the 1,540-acre Blue Springs […]
The focus of this month’s meeting of the New Albany Board of Aldermen shifted from sub-standard housing problems to growing pains because of a specific type of public event: runs. While condemnation processes are going on concerning several properties around town, some have been resolved and other are not due for action until the June […]
Two events this week reminded us of the good work that the folks at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County do in outreach programs in our community. On Monday the hospital conducted its annual Baby Fair, with lots of information, vendors, gifts and refreshments in the hospital lobby. Parents and prospective parents could find out just about […]
Five years ago tomorrow, I arrived in New Albany to help out at the Gazette while a search was conducted for a new publisher. My job description at the time was “roving publisher,” meaning I was to go where I was needed to fill in when a vacancy occurred in the company, which owned more […]
The importance of tourism – and attracting the kinds of tourists who stay awhile and spend money in the local economy – was the focus last week of a talk at the annual meeting of the Union County Historical Society. Sarah McCullough, who manages cultural heritage development for the state tourism division, stressed the need […]
The Toyota executive who spoke at the annual meeting of the Union County Development Association delivered some sobering news. Jackie Hogan, human resources general manager at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs, said the company has no plans to expand its plant at the current time. Rumors have persisted since the plant opened that the […]
The violent storms and tornadoes that swept across much of our state Monday serve as a reminder that we always need to be prepared for whatever develops with the weather. It was a miracle that lives were not lost in Tupelo as the tornado crossed McCullough Boulevard and Gloster Street, devastating houses, churches, hotels and […]
My phone rang Saturday as we were leaving for the Memphis airport. Our son Joe was heading to North Carolina to visit his father before the summer term at Ole Miss starts next month. “Why would Jenny’s 84-year-old mother be calling me?” I wondered, as I looked at the caller ID. Only about an hour […]
The selection of Mary Margarett King as the Mississippi Teacher of the Year is an honor for her, for her students, for New Albany Schools and for our community. King, who teaches Advanced Placement English and a dual enrollment composition course for seniors at New Albany High School, was honored with a reception Wednesday in […]
- All in a week’s work October 6, 2015
- Lady Urchins sweep and finish perfect in division October 8, 2015
- Urchins travel to Mantachie for key division contest October 8, 2015
- Master Gardener Pat James becomes pumpkin man October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- Union County cross country results October 10, 2015
- Big plays sink the Urchins October 10, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs route Byhalia for first division win October 10, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on