Severe weather season seems to be getting earlier, and it’s time now to plan for the inevitable storms, tornado watches and tornado warnings in our area. We again urge you, if you have not already done so, to sign up for the CodeRED system available to all Union County residents. It’s sort of a reverse […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Distracted drivers are an important safety issue across the nation and also in our state. Lots of things contribute to drivers’ being distracted, including talking on cell phones or fiddling with the increasingly complex stereo and navigation systems that now are available in many new cars. But one of the most dangerous is emailing or […]
My wife Jenny says that when I claimed that my hobby was gardening 17 years ago when we were dating that I was exaggerating a little. Well, really she says I was exaggerating a lot – that what I meant was I will mow the yard once in a while when I can’t talk our […]
Mississippi is the model for the nation in at least one area – the immunization rate among kindergarten students. Yes, in a state known for being last in so many things, we are first in protecting our children against the spread of preventable illnesses such as chickenpox, hepatitis B and measles. For instance, 99.7 percent […]
January has come and gone, but not before the Mississippi Legislature got down to work, considering legislation that, if passed, will set the state apart from most of the nation when it comes to setting standards for the education of our children. Many in the legislature are seeking to undermine, and even do away with, […]
Jenny was sitting on the couch, reading emails on her laptop computer. “Hey,” she said. “This says I have to go online someplace and set up an account to print out my W-2 for our taxes.” “Surely not,” I said. “Usually it’s a form with several tear-apart pieces that comes in the mail.” Jenny logged […]
We’re not often impressed with consultants. Sometimes, we think, they make good money telling you what you already know or what you want to hear. But we think the decision several months ago by the Union County Development Association, backed by the city of New Albany and a local developer, to contract with Retail Strategies […]
Well, it’s that time of year when I am reminded of how little I remember about what I learned in school. It’s the week when some of us are trying to remember our Roman numerals. Why Roman numerals, you ask? Because we’re inundated with stories and ads in newspapers and magazines and on television that […]
One of New Albany’s most well-known regional events is on tap this Saturday in the New Albany Memorial Gym. It’s the 24th annual Kiwanis Hotbed Classic, a premier prep sports event in Northeast Mississippi. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the tournament, which is the granddaddy of them all when it […]
They were stacked on the buffet in the dining room. They were stacked on the dresser and the bedside tables in the bedroom. And they were stacked in the home office. Parts of the house were beginning to look a little like one of those TV shows about hoarders and hoarding. You know – the […]
- Toyota Corolla production move from Canada to South America will not affect Blue Springs plant May 27, 2015
- Gazette, government offices will close Monday May 22, 2015
- New Albany school board votes to make high school ‘all iPad’ school May 27, 2015
- Fun at the spray park May 27, 2015
- Movies and Moonbeams May 29, 2015
- Keeping the Faith May 29, 2015
- Emerald Home Furnishings moving here, bringing 150 jobs May 29, 2015
- Teens face charges in mass mailbox vandalism May 29, 2015
- Folk music festival, bluegrass competition again called success May 29, 2015
- Victim’s name released in fatal weather-related accident May 29, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...