It was a smooth handoff in the Mitchell family sports season. The Olympics finished off Sunday night with the closing ceremony, just five days before football officially kicks off with the New Albany Bulldogs. I confess I was getting a little weary of watching the splash meter as divers went into the pool or the […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken a first step in improving the promotion of tourism in the city. The board has named a seven-person committee to develop a comprehensive, long-term plan for tourism and promoting tourism. The committee is an outgrowth of the tourism advisory board, created years ago, but allowed to languish […]
If there was any doubt that we are hooked on the Olympics, it was cast out late Saturday afternoon. There we were – Jenny, Joe and I – glued to the TV screen, watching racewalking. That’s right – racewalking. Until Saturday I had never even heard of it, but that didn’t matter. It’s the Olympics […]
The Town of Blue Springs has a big task ahead in preparing for development expected in the area because of the new Toyota manufacturing plant. An urban planning consultant told the Board of Aldermen this week that it is important to move ahead on planning, zoning and building codes. Mike Slaughter of the Oxford-based Slaughter […]
Hundreds of children and their parents will descend on Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County Saturday morning for the annual Back to School Health Fair. One of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi, which traditionally has been designed for children ages 4 to 12, has been expanded to include children from birth to 12. A children’s […]
The contrast is striking. There was Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves this week speaking at a county fair in Philadelphia criticizing those who oppose so-called “charter schools,” which he and the Republican administration of Gov. Phil Bryant have made a major education priority. Reeves has become the mouthpiece for the plan that would siphon off public […]
The client hardly had time to walk into his office before the lawyer picked up a hinged box from his desk, opened it and said, “Care for a cigarette?” We’ve been watching old TV shows this summer, and one of our favorites is “Perry Mason,” which Jenny records for us every morning from the Hallmark […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has a longstanding commitment to the health of our community. That commitment takes many forms, from the hospital itself to a variety of community outreach programs. One of those ancillary parts of Baptist is the facility on Fairfield Drive known as the Baptist Healthplex. It has been owned by the hospital […]
School starts next Tuesday in both New Albany and Union County and it’s time for all of us to slow down and pay closer attention while driving. We see drivers speeding through residential areas (and even school zones) at 35 to 45 miles per hour, often while talking on cell phones. That is too fast […]
Standing in our garage, I saw the well-dressed young man walk up our driveway. “Are you moving in or moving out?” he asked, pointing to the pile of packing boxes stacked up near the front of the garage. “Neither,” I said, “we’ve lived here more than two years.” He stammered around for a bit, realizing […]
- Life intervenes in the plan May 20, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Toyota Corolla production move from Canada to South America will not affect Blue Springs plant May 27, 2015
- New Albany school board votes to make high school ‘all iPad’ school May 27, 2015
- Saturday last day for absentee voting in congressional run-off May 27, 2015
- Union County Fair about six weeks away May 27, 2015
- Senior Citizens’ Day held Thursday May 27, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...