The Mississippi House has let die a proposal by Gov. Phil Bryant that would have eliminated civil service protection for rank-and-file state workers. Bryant and the Republican leadership in the Mississippi Legislature wanted to take state workers out from under the authority of the state Personnel Board, which provides civil service protection for workers. They […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
After years of having a little old dog whose only goal in getting on the couch was to curl up and go to sleep, our current situation has taken a little getting used to. Oh, the three young dogs that inhabit our house now do a little of that. But they also use the furniture […]
Union County Schools Superintendent Ken Basil and the county Board of Education decided three years ago to start a county-wide band program. Some in the community pooh-poohed the idea of the four diverse and competitive county schools agreeing to support a unified band program for the district. They predicted county-wide school cooperation wouldn’t happen. They […]
A team of specialists from the Mississippi Development Authority has analyzed New Albany’s assets and attractiveness to visitors, as well as potential manufacturers and developers. While generally praising New Albany’s downtown, parks, the Union County Heritage Museum, and Baptist Memorial Hospital, the group suggested a number of “tweaks” to improve community attractiveness and signage for […]
It’s the “tweener” season at our house. Yes, I know “tweener” isn’t a real word; I knew that even before Microsoft Word put the red line under it on my computer screen. But it’s a real season to me. It’s that time after college basketball ends and before college football begins. You might call it […]
The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra, with one of the country’s top tenors as a soloist, put on a first-class performance Sunday in the Cine Theater of the Magnolia Civic Center. The concert, labeled “A Broadway Salute to the Troops,” included a selection of patriotic music and Broadway favorites. Steve Amerson, the guest soloist, has been labeled […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors has asked the state to use $40 million to improve state Highway 15 between New Albany and Pontotoc, instead of widening state Highway 9 between Blue Springs and Highway 348. At its meeting Monday, the board urged the legislature, the Mississippi Development Authority and the state Department of Transportation […]
If it’s Tuesday, it must be Pittsburgh. It was Tuesday and it was Pittsburgh, the second stop on a whirlwind, nine-day family car trip during school spring break. We left New Albany early on a Saturday morning to make the nine-hour journey to the first overnight stop, to see Jenny’s parents in northern Kentucky. We […]
Dear Editor: Here are some issues to consider about Mississippi charter school funding. In both the senate and house bills, each charter school would be considered a separate school district? Would that not create more school districts at a time when the legislature says there should be fewer? Also, charter bills would create a board […]
The administration of Gov. Phil Bryant and the Republican-controlled Mississippi Legislature are busy trying to politicize state agencies right down to the receptionist at the front door. The governor and the legislative leadership want to eliminate state civil service protection that protects rank-and-file state workers from the political whims of each incoming administration. They want […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...