New Albany has adopted a plan to begin dealing with the most pressing issues with the city’s water system. The Board of Aldermen has voted to move ahead with a plan, developed by New Albany Light, Gas & Water, to add two production wells, improve water pressure on the east side of the city, and […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Dear Editor: The New Albany Board of Aldermen has done an end around on the voters of Union County. Unable to garner a majority of votes to approve the sale of liquor, the aldermen have chosen to disenfranchise the voters of the county. Proponents of king liquor knew their only chance was to deprive the county […]
The New Albany Schools Board of Trustees has voted to conduct a national search for a new superintendent to succeed Dr. Charles Garrett, who is leaving the district June 30. The vote was 3 to 2. Dr. Jason Dees, Bernice Bailey and Dr. Susan McClelland voted in favor. Jerry Tate and Bobby Gault voted against […]
An ordinance establishing minimum standards for rental housing in New Albany finally is on the books after nearly two years of on-again, off-again discussion by the Board of Aldermen. The ordinance sets standards for habitation of rental housing and gives the city code enforcement officer the authority to prevent rental units from being occupied if […]
The temperature was warm, but not too warm, and a gentle breeze Saturday made for an idyllic setting on the balcony of an apartment overlooking Bankhead Street in downtown New Albany. Jenny and I had just met Warren “Butch” Gray, who was showing us around his apartment facing Cooper Park, where he has lived since […]
Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and the Republican leadership in the Mississippi Legislature have gotten what they deserve: a defeat for their ill-conceived plan to raid the public education treasury to create so-called “charter schools.” They had supported various versions of a bill that would have siphoned off public tax money to support […]
Dear Editor: We received two form letters yesterday mailed from Portland, Ore., advising us that we may qualify for a “free” cellular phone. This offer also included “free” texting and we could select from three different plans with “free” long distance, “free” roaming and multiple other “free” benefits. It even had a place where you […]
Dear Editor: I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Union County Fair Board and directors for being a sponsor for the North Union County Miss Heart of the USA Pageant. We could not have accomplished our goal to have a food-drive pageant without their sincere help. Ms. Jane and Mr. Stanley […]
The Mississippi Legislature has approved and Gov. Phil Bryant has signed a bill that allows city voters in the state to determine whether they want the sale of wine and spirits to be permitted within city limits. We applaud this decision in favor of local residents within our cities deciding what is best for their […]
There’s an unusual event happening downtown this Saturday. The New Albany Main Street Association has scheduled something called “Upstairs Downtown.” It’s an opportunity to be nosy, to get a feel for what living downtown would be like by touring some of the apartments above our downtown businesses. It’s a logical follow-up to the feature story […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...