By Tim Burress Are you up to it? Are you man enough? Is your Team ready? This year’s event will be held at the Union County Fairgrounds Pulling Track, Saturday July 20, at 8:00 p.m. You and your team can register up to the night of the event and the fee is $25.00 per team. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Four little “grands” in car seats make for interesting commutes. On their recent week with Mama C and Daddy O, we were on our way to a fun day at the Children’s Museum. An altercation surfaced from the back seat between the two older girls. As the sounds escalated, I interrupted and took on the […]
It has been said that most people only appear in the newspaper two times: once when they are born and once when they die. Today, due to patient privacy laws and changing norms, fewer births make it into the newspaper, so that really leaves obituaries. If that is indeed the only time someone is written […]
City officials began their new term by making an assortment of decisions, not the least of which was to create a committee to look at downtown parking. This is long overdue, deserves praise, and even more than praise if any action actually results from it. New Albany has a parking problem, which certainly is a […]
Parents of college students in Mississippi will feel more pinch this fall as the state’s universities increase in-state tuition by an average of more than 6 percent. Costs will go up even more at the state’s two major universities. Mississippi State tuition for two semesters will be $6,772, up 8.1 percent, and the University of […]
Jenny and I got married last week. At least, that is what our son Joe told us after seeing it on the internet. He found it on Facebook. How did it get there? It turns out it was my fault, and I was pretty embarrassed. It was a quick reminder of the danger of me […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 72nd anniversary year Friday at the fairgrounds. This year’s fair opens with the rodeo on Friday and Saturday nights, and the Miss Union County Fair and Scholarship pageant before the rodeo on Saturday. The […]
It was one of those special God surprises Sunday evening when the gentle breezes began blowing through our back porch – more comparable to a September fall breeze than a pre-July. Then the sounds of firecrackers covered the sound of rustling leaves. Children in the adjoining neighborhood were heralding freedom celebration with an early start. […]
Twenty years ago the vision of then Mayor Walter Johnson became a reality with the opening of the New Albany Sportsplex. Through the years the sportsplex has attracted teams and their revenue-producing parents and friends from all over the South to play in what many regard as a showplace in the region. The facilities, on […]
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...