One more election and we are done for the year. The actual, official municipal elections are next Tuesday, June 4, to select mayors, aldermen, and in some cases, chiefs of police. As always, everyone needs to go vote. Granted, there will be little interest here, other than in the Ward 4 alderman’s race, the only […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – “What in the world are we doing? We look like Mississippi.” That’s what a disgusted Gov. Beverly Perdue said last May after 61 percent of voters in North Carolina cast ballots in favor of defining marriage in the state constitution as a legal bond between one man and one woman. […]
What did you do on Memorial Day? We stayed home. We did some house cleaning and grilled hot dogs. That’s about it. We didn’t do a whole lot the entire weekend. Jenny and I don’t have any interest in car racing, NASCAR or otherwise, so we didn’t even watch the two big races in Indianapolis […]
The election of Kevin Dale White to the New Albany Board of Aldermen leaves only one of the five spots to be decided. In Ward 4, first-term incumbent Will Tucker faces a challenge from businessman Terry Medlin. That race will be tallied in the general election June 4. The rest were decided in the Democratic […]
It’s graduation week in our area high schools. By this evening 301 seniors, up from 274 last year, will have gotten their diplomas in the New Albany and Union County schools. Last night East Union Attendance Center graduated 58 and Ingomar graduated 42. Tonight 43 will graduate at Myrtle Attendance Center and 30 at West […]
Now, don’t get me wrong. Jenny loves her car and she has no interest in getting a different one. She drives it back and forth to work in Oxford and it has never let her down. She’s rolled up more than 80,000 miles, and it still looks about as nice as the day she first […]
The Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market has kicked off its second season on a vacant property between Fred’s and the Tallahatchie River Bridge. Moving the Saturday morning event to the prominent downtown spot last year turned out to be very successful. The market will be open from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. each Saturday until […]
The phrase “no words can describe” is probably overused but after seeing some of the TV coverage of the tornado damage in Moore, Okla., I would think this is a case where it does apply. Perhaps the Union Countians who experienced the storms that have struck the Martintown and West Union areas have a sense […]
May has been a momentous month for our oldest grandchild, Camea. She graduated from Mississippi College after four years of great grades and accomplishments that made her grandparents gleam! In the midst of this monumental month, she’s watched us move her grandparents’ home from Etta to Brandon. Tonight she dropped by our new home for […]
New Albany has taken another major step toward improving its water system. New Albany Light, Gas & Water has been approved for a federal grant of $1.3 million to help pay for new water lines along much of North Street, as well as add a water tank, booster pump station and two new wells to […]
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6