An ordinance establishing minimum standards for rental housing in New Albany finally is on the books after nearly two years of on-again, off-again discussion by the Board of Aldermen. The ordinance sets standards for habitation of rental housing and gives the city code enforcement officer the authority to prevent rental units from being occupied if […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The temperature was warm, but not too warm, and a gentle breeze Saturday made for an idyllic setting on the balcony of an apartment overlooking Bankhead Street in downtown New Albany. Jenny and I had just met Warren “Butch” Gray, who was showing us around his apartment facing Cooper Park, where he has lived since […]
Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and the Republican leadership in the Mississippi Legislature have gotten what they deserve: a defeat for their ill-conceived plan to raid the public education treasury to create so-called “charter schools.” They had supported various versions of a bill that would have siphoned off public tax money to support […]
Dear Editor: We received two form letters yesterday mailed from Portland, Ore., advising us that we may qualify for a “free” cellular phone. This offer also included “free” texting and we could select from three different plans with “free” long distance, “free” roaming and multiple other “free” benefits. It even had a place where you […]
Dear Editor: I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Union County Fair Board and directors for being a sponsor for the North Union County Miss Heart of the USA Pageant. We could not have accomplished our goal to have a food-drive pageant without their sincere help. Ms. Jane and Mr. Stanley […]
The Mississippi Legislature has approved and Gov. Phil Bryant has signed a bill that allows city voters in the state to determine whether they want the sale of wine and spirits to be permitted within city limits. We applaud this decision in favor of local residents within our cities deciding what is best for their […]
There’s an unusual event happening downtown this Saturday. The New Albany Main Street Association has scheduled something called “Upstairs Downtown.” It’s an opportunity to be nosy, to get a feel for what living downtown would be like by touring some of the apartments above our downtown businesses. It’s a logical follow-up to the feature story […]
A community town hall meeting has been scheduled for 6 p.m. next Tuesday to discuss efforts under way to better provide health and education services to children up through age 5. The meeting, in the theater at the Magnolia Civic Center, is sponsored by the New Albany/Union County Early Childhood Coalition, which is promoting becoming […]
The day I turned 16, my parents took me to the driver’s license office to take the test. I had studied the book a lot, had practiced driving on country roads, and was confident I would pass. I didn’t. I didn’t even get to take the exam; I failed the eye test. I had had […]
Getting Dr. Charles Garrett to head up the establishment of the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures is a coup for the CREATE Foundation and its Toyota Education Enhancement Advisory Committee. By luring the New Albany Schools superintendent to take the job, the committee has greatly increased the chances that the center will be successfully developed. […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...