A year ago the New Albany Main Street Association decided to try something new – and evening of art, music and food called Arts, Beats & Eats. It was taking a chance because the community has few dressy, upscale events. Vickie Duke, the New Albany association’s manager, said at the time that one of Main […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Next week music will come alive in New Albany as the community enjoys the seventh edition of the Broadway show. “Broadway 7: The House is Rockin’” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in the Cine Theatre at the Magnolia Civic Center. It’s the seventh edition of the popular musical review […]
The New Albany High School graduating class of 1960 has decided to honor Vietnam veterans who are either from Union County or now live in the county. The class is using its “NAHS 1960 Class Remembers” Fund to sponsor a fish fry at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in downtown New Albany’s Cooper Park. Only Vietnam veterans […]
Changes in the management of BNA Bank Park were announced this week by Mayor Time Kent and the New Albany Board of Aldermen. The position of Kevin Crawford, park director, was eliminated. Management of the park was split between well known sports turf manager Charles Brunetti, who has the title of director of grounds and […]
It was eight o’clock on Saturday morning and I had a decision to make: Which vendor had the best-looking tomatoes? Tomatoes were everywhere at the Biscuits and Jam Union County Farmers Market. Big tomatoes. Small tomatoes. Ripe ones. Not-so-ripe ones. Finally, I settled on the really large, ripe ones at the Pannell Farms table. The […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 71th anniversary year Friday at the fairgrounds. For many families, this is the favorite event of the year in New Albany. It brings together about 16,000 people. Most are from the local area, but […]
Our local American Legion Post 72 is to be commended for working to improve the look of the Union County War Memorial Monument. The monument itself, installed in 1969 at the left front corner of the Union County Courthouse grounds, was in pretty good shape. But the area around the monument had fallen into disrepair […]
Jenny had a half-dozen pairs of flip-flops spread out on the floor, debating how many she could cram into her suitcase as we were packing to go to London and Paris. I suggested she pack a couple pairs of real shoes and lots of socks because of the cobblestone streets and possibility of wet weather. […]
Today on our nation’s birthday, we honor America. We’re thankful for our democracy and for our government and the many services it provides to make our lives safer and better. Here are some of the things our government does that come to mind on this Independence Day: – Protects us from our enemies, both foreign […]
Dr. Charles Garrett today winds up more than 11 years as superintendent of New Albany Schools, years that have brought positive change and improvement to local education. He is leaving the district in a much better position than when he came, and his successor, whether it is interim superintendent Jackie Ford or someone else, will […]
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Campaign signage April 1, 2015
- Procrastination and garage doors April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...