The New Albany High School graduating class of 1960 has decided to honor Vietnam veterans who are either from Union County or now live in the county. The class is using its “NAHS 1960 Class Remembers” Fund to sponsor a fish fry at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in downtown New Albany’s Cooper Park. Only Vietnam veterans […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Changes in the management of BNA Bank Park were announced this week by Mayor Time Kent and the New Albany Board of Aldermen. The position of Kevin Crawford, park director, was eliminated. Management of the park was split between well known sports turf manager Charles Brunetti, who has the title of director of grounds and […]
It was eight o’clock on Saturday morning and I had a decision to make: Which vendor had the best-looking tomatoes? Tomatoes were everywhere at the Biscuits and Jam Union County Farmers Market. Big tomatoes. Small tomatoes. Ripe ones. Not-so-ripe ones. Finally, I settled on the really large, ripe ones at the Pannell Farms table. The […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 71th anniversary year Friday at the fairgrounds. For many families, this is the favorite event of the year in New Albany. It brings together about 16,000 people. Most are from the local area, but […]
Our local American Legion Post 72 is to be commended for working to improve the look of the Union County War Memorial Monument. The monument itself, installed in 1969 at the left front corner of the Union County Courthouse grounds, was in pretty good shape. But the area around the monument had fallen into disrepair […]
Jenny had a half-dozen pairs of flip-flops spread out on the floor, debating how many she could cram into her suitcase as we were packing to go to London and Paris. I suggested she pack a couple pairs of real shoes and lots of socks because of the cobblestone streets and possibility of wet weather. […]
Today on our nation’s birthday, we honor America. We’re thankful for our democracy and for our government and the many services it provides to make our lives safer and better. Here are some of the things our government does that come to mind on this Independence Day: – Protects us from our enemies, both foreign […]
Dr. Charles Garrett today winds up more than 11 years as superintendent of New Albany Schools, years that have brought positive change and improvement to local education. He is leaving the district in a much better position than when he came, and his successor, whether it is interim superintendent Jackie Ford or someone else, will […]
Jenny and I had decided to spend the day in Oxford – the other one, the one without The Grove. We were on a once-in-forever kind of vacation that included several days each in London and Paris. (Yes, we had a wonderful time, but by the end we were ready to come home to New […]
The board of the Union County Historical Society has voted to hire an architect and move ahead on plans to more than double the size of the Union County Heritage Museum. It was a bold move, but clearly was the right one for our community. The museum has become a quality small museum under the […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...