It has been said that most people only appear in the newspaper two times: once when they are born and once when they die. Today, due to patient privacy laws and changing norms, fewer births make it into the newspaper, so that really leaves obituaries. If that is indeed the only time someone is written […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
City officials began their new term by making an assortment of decisions, not the least of which was to create a committee to look at downtown parking. This is long overdue, deserves praise, and even more than praise if any action actually results from it. New Albany has a parking problem, which certainly is a […]
Parents of college students in Mississippi will feel more pinch this fall as the state’s universities increase in-state tuition by an average of more than 6 percent. Costs will go up even more at the state’s two major universities. Mississippi State tuition for two semesters will be $6,772, up 8.1 percent, and the University of […]
Jenny and I got married last week. At least, that is what our son Joe told us after seeing it on the internet. He found it on Facebook. How did it get there? It turns out it was my fault, and I was pretty embarrassed. It was a quick reminder of the danger of me […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 72nd anniversary year Friday at the fairgrounds. This year’s fair opens with the rodeo on Friday and Saturday nights, and the Miss Union County Fair and Scholarship pageant before the rodeo on Saturday. The […]
It was one of those special God surprises Sunday evening when the gentle breezes began blowing through our back porch – more comparable to a September fall breeze than a pre-July. Then the sounds of firecrackers covered the sound of rustling leaves. Children in the adjoining neighborhood were heralding freedom celebration with an early start. […]
Twenty years ago the vision of then Mayor Walter Johnson became a reality with the opening of the New Albany Sportsplex. Through the years the sportsplex has attracted teams and their revenue-producing parents and friends from all over the South to play in what many regard as a showplace in the region. The facilities, on […]
When the magnolia’s ivory petals unfold, when the honeysuckle’s aroma saturates the evening breeze and the lighting bugs begin their electric light show, it’s not only summer in Mississippi. It’s chigger time! I’ve got to get on the Internet or dig into the library volumes to get the where and why of these little critters. […]
It’s my wife’s fault that I broke my glasses. That’s what I think. Of course, Jenny doesn’t agree. (You were pretty sure she wouldn’t, weren’t you?) She says she was 475 miles away in northern Kentucky at the time. Well, she was actually. But it’s still her fault. It all started 10 days ago when […]
Mississippi’s standing has improved for the first time in 24 years on the national Kids Count survey that measures the well-being of children and families. But before you start back-slapping and high-fiving, we note that the state has moved to 49th, from 50th, in the annual compilation of statistics by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. […]
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6