Tupelo’s recent designation as a winner of one of the 10 All-America Cities awards for this year is a marketing and public relations bonanza. The awards, given by the National League of Cities, carry quite a bit of national publicity and allow local officials to trumpet the award for everything from tourism to economic development. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
We understand homeowners’ concerns about the Blue Springs plan to more than double the size of the village, both in area and population, through annexation. The proposal would annex most of the land separating the village from the Toyota plant property. The land is along the north side of Interstate 22 (U.S. 78) at the […]
Financial problems are threatening to turn New Albany’s Freedom Celebration concert weekend into a shadow of its former self. Organizers are expected to decide by Friday whether to cut the event, scheduled for July 1-2, back to a one-night concert on Saturday night. Phil Nanney, executive director of the Union County Development Association, which stages […]
Our community is undergoing a spate of vandalism that is beyond typical summertime pranks. In late May vandals used paint pens to write words and symbols on the brick pavers at the veterans memorial at the New Albany Sportsplex. In addition, one of the lights that illuminates the American flag at the monument was destroyed. […]
Roger McMillin will be hard to replace as the attorney for the City of New Albany. Oh, we’re certain there will be lawyers who want the job, but it is doubtful the city will be able to find an attorney with the breadth of experience in municipal law and the understanding of issues affecting New […]
The 13th annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life has come and gone, and it was a hot one. Temperatures were in the high 90s as the teams gathered at the New Albany Sportsplex for the opening ceremony last Friday evening. And it didn’t cool off much all evening. Attendance was down from last year […]
Hot weather is here and it’s the perfect time to spend time in the water. Fortunately, for young children, the New Albany Spray Park at the Sportsplex is available. It’s open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. For $4 per 90-minute session, children age 12 and under can frolic in the water […]
The BNA Bank Cotton States Baseball League will open its third season Saturday at Legion Field at the New Albany Sportsplex. The league is back in town for their June and July season that features five teams, all playing their games at the New Albany field. The teams are the Tippah County Tribe, the North […]
A plan that could help make commercial and industrial areas in New Albany better looking over time has been put forth at the Board of Aldermen. Scott Dunnam, alderman-at-large, has introduced an ordinance to set minimum design standards for new construction in commercial and industrial areas. It would not apply to existing buildings unless they […]
A plan to generate money for expansion of the New Haven Center for Special Needs by collecting aluminum cans is a good one for two reasons. First, the school is in need of more space and the sale of aluminum cans could generate significant revenue, and second, the effort encourages recycling, which is the right […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...