Monday is the last day to wear seersucker or white for the season. I learned that from reading a story this week about the history and traditions associated with Labor Day. The fashion no-nos won’t change much in my life, though. Thirty years ago or so, I got a seersucker shirt as a gift, but […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon. The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the […]
New Albany has built a beautiful tennis complex that already is a showplace for tennis tournaments that will attract players not only from the region, but also from neighboring states. The new courts and pavilion in BNA Bank Park North are a first class facility that can only impress our out-of-town guests. Unfortunately, the first […]
Dear Editor: My 9-year-old grandson, Zach, went to school in tears this morning. It appears that someone took his dog, Cujo, last night when he was let out of the house for a few minutes. Cujo is a white Pomeranian with a touch of tan on his ear and a small spot on his […]
Maybe I should have just stuck to the band burgers I ate Friday night at the New Albany football game. Because I got there early (Jenny says I’m obsessive about getting to places really early, but that’s another story), there was no crowd at the condiment table. I was able to dress my burgers with […]
The United Way has kicked off its 2012 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,300,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest […]
Dear Editor: Camp Freshman was held at New Albany High School on July 31, 2012. This is an annual orientation event designed to help rising freshmen become familiar with the high school campus, teachers and administrators. The day is made possible because of the generosity of many businesses and individuals in our community. We […]
The cover of the New Albany Football Souvenir Program for the 2012 season says it all. On the cover designed by Lance Moore, New Albany Coach Ron Price and the team’s seniors are linked arm in arm in a striking photograph taken by Gazette Sports Editor Elizabeth Zaremba. Under the photo are the words, “Standing […]
It was a smooth handoff in the Mitchell family sports season. The Olympics finished off Sunday night with the closing ceremony, just five days before football officially kicks off with the New Albany Bulldogs. I confess I was getting a little weary of watching the splash meter as divers went into the pool or the […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken a first step in improving the promotion of tourism in the city. The board has named a seven-person committee to develop a comprehensive, long-term plan for tourism and promoting tourism. The committee is an outgrowth of the tourism advisory board, created years ago, but allowed to languish […]
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Union becomes ‘Purple Heart’ county April 1, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Shoplifting suspect leads police on high-speed chase, hunt through woods April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...