The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 71th anniversary year Friday at the fairgrounds. For many families, this is the favorite event of the year in New Albany. It brings together about 16,000 people. Most are from the local area, but […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Our local American Legion Post 72 is to be commended for working to improve the look of the Union County War Memorial Monument. The monument itself, installed in 1969 at the left front corner of the Union County Courthouse grounds, was in pretty good shape. But the area around the monument had fallen into disrepair […]
Jenny had a half-dozen pairs of flip-flops spread out on the floor, debating how many she could cram into her suitcase as we were packing to go to London and Paris. I suggested she pack a couple pairs of real shoes and lots of socks because of the cobblestone streets and possibility of wet weather. […]
Today on our nation’s birthday, we honor America. We’re thankful for our democracy and for our government and the many services it provides to make our lives safer and better. Here are some of the things our government does that come to mind on this Independence Day: – Protects us from our enemies, both foreign […]
Dr. Charles Garrett today winds up more than 11 years as superintendent of New Albany Schools, years that have brought positive change and improvement to local education. He is leaving the district in a much better position than when he came, and his successor, whether it is interim superintendent Jackie Ford or someone else, will […]
Jenny and I had decided to spend the day in Oxford – the other one, the one without The Grove. We were on a once-in-forever kind of vacation that included several days each in London and Paris. (Yes, we had a wonderful time, but by the end we were ready to come home to New […]
The board of the Union County Historical Society has voted to hire an architect and move ahead on plans to more than double the size of the Union County Heritage Museum. It was a bold move, but clearly was the right one for our community. The museum has become a quality small museum under the […]
The changes this year in the annual farmers market represent an important step forward for our community. Saturday, has been renamed the Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market and moved to a more prominent downtown spot on the vacant property between Fred’s and the Tallahatchie River Bridge. In the past, the farmers’ market has been held […]
Responding to citizens concerns, the Union County Board of Supervisors has adopted an abandoned and dangerous animals ordinance. It is expected to go into effect in about 30 days. We think the board has done the right thing in an effort to get a handle on the growing population of unwanted, or in some cases […]
Today is an extra-tiring one for our local mail carriers and for the independent contractors who take the Gazette around to single copy dealers and racks. That’s because the Gazette is extra heavy today. We’re sorry about that. Well, not really. We’re actually happy that your paper contains the third edition of Explore. The glossy […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...