For us, fall comes early in New Albany. It comes with the first high school football game of the season. That time is here as the bright lights of Kitchens Field will be on for the 7 o’clock game tonight as the New Albany Bulldogs face Water Valley. And a couple of miles away the […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The United Way has kicked off its 2013 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,400,000, which is more than the $2.3 million goal last year. What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians […]
Today’s groundbreaking at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County symbolizes the growth of our area and the increased demand for urgent health care. Stephen C. Reynolds, president and chief executive officer of Baptist Memorial Health Care of Memphis, is scheduled to be on hand for the official ceremony starting construction of a much-needed new emergency room. The […]
First Baptist Church in Hickory Flat will celebrate its 125th anniversary on Aug. 24 and 25. On Saturday, August 24, from 4-6 p.m. the church will host a 95th Birthday Celebration for the church’s oldest member and longest serving deacon Will T. Hudspeth in the Family Life Center. During that time the pastor’s home and […]
The Historical Shady Grove Community Cemetery Committee is hosting a spaghetti supper fundraising event for maintenance of the cemetery on Saturday, Aug. 17, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Shady Grove Baptist Church Fellowship Hall located on Shady Grove Road in Pontotoc County. The cost of the meal including salad, drink and dessert is […]
Downsizing is a fancy name for discarding “stuff” in order to live in smaller housing. Othel and I have been busy at it for some time. The reduced storage space has meant more self-discipline in storing items we knew we would continue to need. It’s also meant we must become more conscientious about returning items […]
The return address on the letter started with “Raytown High School Class of 1963.” “Oh, no,” I thought. “It can’t be time for my 50th high-school reunion.” It is. The letter outlined plans for events Oct. 4-6 in the suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., where I went to high school. Highlights include a Friday evening […]
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.” The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York […]
When it’s time for children to go back to school, it’s also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi. We, of course, are talking about the annual Back to School Health Fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. More than 1,000 people, including as many as 500 children, are expected to turn […]
I went back to school last week. The smell of fresh wax nearly overwhelmed me as I headed down the hall to the classroom. It’s the ritual end of summer at the Mitchell house: Our son Joe and I help Jenny get her classroom ready for a new crop of fourth graders. By Saturday when […]
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2