The contrast is striking. There was Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves this week speaking at a county fair in Philadelphia criticizing those who oppose so-called “charter schools,” which he and the Republican administration of Gov. Phil Bryant have made a major education priority. Reeves has become the mouthpiece for the plan that would siphon off public […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The client hardly had time to walk into his office before the lawyer picked up a hinged box from his desk, opened it and said, “Care for a cigarette?” We’ve been watching old TV shows this summer, and one of our favorites is “Perry Mason,” which Jenny records for us every morning from the Hallmark […]
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has a longstanding commitment to the health of our community. That commitment takes many forms, from the hospital itself to a variety of community outreach programs. One of those ancillary parts of Baptist is the facility on Fairfield Drive known as the Baptist Healthplex. It has been owned by the hospital […]
School starts next Tuesday in both New Albany and Union County and it’s time for all of us to slow down and pay closer attention while driving. We see drivers speeding through residential areas (and even school zones) at 35 to 45 miles per hour, often while talking on cell phones. That is too fast […]
Standing in our garage, I saw the well-dressed young man walk up our driveway. “Are you moving in or moving out?” he asked, pointing to the pile of packing boxes stacked up near the front of the garage. “Neither,” I said, “we’ve lived here more than two years.” He stammered around for a bit, realizing […]
A year ago the New Albany Main Street Association decided to try something new – and evening of art, music and food called Arts, Beats & Eats. It was taking a chance because the community has few dressy, upscale events. Vickie Duke, the New Albany association’s manager, said at the time that one of Main […]
Next week music will come alive in New Albany as the community enjoys the seventh edition of the Broadway show. “Broadway 7: The House is Rockin’” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in the Cine Theatre at the Magnolia Civic Center. It’s the seventh edition of the popular musical review […]
The New Albany High School graduating class of 1960 has decided to honor Vietnam veterans who are either from Union County or now live in the county. The class is using its “NAHS 1960 Class Remembers” Fund to sponsor a fish fry at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in downtown New Albany’s Cooper Park. Only Vietnam veterans […]
Changes in the management of BNA Bank Park were announced this week by Mayor Time Kent and the New Albany Board of Aldermen. The position of Kevin Crawford, park director, was eliminated. Management of the park was split between well known sports turf manager Charles Brunetti, who has the title of director of grounds and […]
It was eight o’clock on Saturday morning and I had a decision to make: Which vendor had the best-looking tomatoes? Tomatoes were everywhere at the Biscuits and Jam Union County Farmers Market. Big tomatoes. Small tomatoes. Ripe ones. Not-so-ripe ones. Finally, I settled on the really large, ripe ones at the Pannell Farms table. The […]
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...