The United Way has kicked off its 2013 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,400,000, which is more than the $2.3 million goal last year. What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Today’s groundbreaking at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County symbolizes the growth of our area and the increased demand for urgent health care. Stephen C. Reynolds, president and chief executive officer of Baptist Memorial Health Care of Memphis, is scheduled to be on hand for the official ceremony starting construction of a much-needed new emergency room. The […]
First Baptist Church in Hickory Flat will celebrate its 125th anniversary on Aug. 24 and 25. On Saturday, August 24, from 4-6 p.m. the church will host a 95th Birthday Celebration for the church’s oldest member and longest serving deacon Will T. Hudspeth in the Family Life Center. During that time the pastor’s home and […]
The Historical Shady Grove Community Cemetery Committee is hosting a spaghetti supper fundraising event for maintenance of the cemetery on Saturday, Aug. 17, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Shady Grove Baptist Church Fellowship Hall located on Shady Grove Road in Pontotoc County. The cost of the meal including salad, drink and dessert is […]
Downsizing is a fancy name for discarding “stuff” in order to live in smaller housing. Othel and I have been busy at it for some time. The reduced storage space has meant more self-discipline in storing items we knew we would continue to need. It’s also meant we must become more conscientious about returning items […]
The return address on the letter started with “Raytown High School Class of 1963.” “Oh, no,” I thought. “It can’t be time for my 50th high-school reunion.” It is. The letter outlined plans for events Oct. 4-6 in the suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., where I went to high school. Highlights include a Friday evening […]
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.” The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York […]
When it’s time for children to go back to school, it’s also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi. We, of course, are talking about the annual Back to School Health Fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. More than 1,000 people, including as many as 500 children, are expected to turn […]
I went back to school last week. The smell of fresh wax nearly overwhelmed me as I headed down the hall to the classroom. It’s the ritual end of summer at the Mitchell house: Our son Joe and I help Jenny get her classroom ready for a new crop of fourth graders. By Saturday when […]
School starts next Monday in both the New Albany and Union County schools and it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed is 25. And […]
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...