Dentists make me sick. Oh, it’s not because of their personalities or chair-side manners. Kelton McClinton is a nice guy and our family goes to him for checkups. No, dentists make me sick because they want to put things in my mouth. It makes me gag. So do lollipops, chewing gum, and thermometers. It started […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Mischief is being made in Oxford again. Last fall a group calling itself Forward Rebels placed anonymous ads in newspapers around the state critical of the University of Mississippi administration and especially its athletic director. The group spent a lot of money embarrassing the university and creating a distraction that undermined support for the school […]
Once in a while we need to pause and remind ourselves of the quality work done at our New Albany and Union County schools to prepare our students for the life ahead. One measure of that is graduation, or completion, rate for the schools. The 2011 figures have been released by the state and show […]
Monday is the last day to wear seersucker or white for the season. I learned that from reading a story this week about the history and traditions associated with Labor Day. The fashion no-nos won’t change much in my life, though. Thirty years ago or so, I got a seersucker shirt as a gift, but […]
For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon. The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the […]
New Albany has built a beautiful tennis complex that already is a showplace for tennis tournaments that will attract players not only from the region, but also from neighboring states. The new courts and pavilion in BNA Bank Park North are a first class facility that can only impress our out-of-town guests. Unfortunately, the first […]
Dear Editor: My 9-year-old grandson, Zach, went to school in tears this morning. It appears that someone took his dog, Cujo, last night when he was let out of the house for a few minutes. Cujo is a white Pomeranian with a touch of tan on his ear and a small spot on his […]
Maybe I should have just stuck to the band burgers I ate Friday night at the New Albany football game. Because I got there early (Jenny says I’m obsessive about getting to places really early, but that’s another story), there was no crowd at the condiment table. I was able to dress my burgers with […]
The United Way has kicked off its 2012 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,300,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest […]
Dear Editor: Camp Freshman was held at New Albany High School on July 31, 2012. This is an annual orientation event designed to help rising freshmen become familiar with the high school campus, teachers and administrators. The day is made possible because of the generosity of many businesses and individuals in our community. We […]
- County makes arrests in area burglaries March 4, 2015
- Special U.S. House election to be May 12 February 27, 2015
- Baggett leads Eagles to win over Bogue Chitto March 5, 2015
- Ingomar defeats Montgomery County for semi-final appearance March 5, 2015
- Testing for graduation March 6, 2015
- East Union Attendance Center beauty review March 6, 2015
- East Union students help save lives of two wreck victims March 6, 2015
- Blue Springs seeks grant for more police presence March 6, 2015
- City considering plan for bike path to connect west side to park, downtown March 6, 2015
- City schools look at long-range planning, make staff appointments March 6, 2015
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...