New Albany reaches a new milestone next week as movers and shakers in business and development from all over the state converge on our city for a two-day conference. More than 100 people from out of town are expected Tuesday and Wednesday to attend the Mississippi Conference on Business and Entrepreneur Development, hosted by the […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Customer service runs the gamut in New Albany. One can find examples of prompt, courteous service with accurate filling of orders and staff in establishments going the extra mile to solve a problem, or even to prevent one from happening. On the other hand, there are some – mostly habitual offenders – who make customers […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – There was a dust-up last week about whether Mississippi should ever-ever-ever become a home for nuclear waste. Guess what? Mississippi has been a home for nuclear waste for nearly 30 years. As of 2008, there were 770 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel at the Grand Gulf Nuclear Station in […]
Things I’ve learned in our search for a new church home: 1) Large cities have mega churches as well as small ones. They have a lot of both kinds. 2) Man has discovered a variety of ways to worship. It appears some have not read the Manual. 3) Most churches are oblivious to visitors, but […]
New Albany Elementary School has more than 1,300 students, faculty and staff at the school every school day, but does not have a city police officer at the school. That’s not a misprint. The Board of Alderman has failed for years to budget for a school resource officer at New Albany Elementary even though a […]
For 51 years, I’ve worn glasses. I got my first pair when I was 16, after failing the Missouri vision exam when I applied for my driver’s license. Until that time, I just assumed the world was a bit of a blur to everyone. One of my most vivid memories is putting on my new […]
The New Albany School District again is demonstrating its drive for continuous improvement by successfully competing for a federally financed grant to help students who are struggling academically. New Albany Schools is partnering with the struggling district in Shannon for the five-year grant, administered through the Mississippi Department of Education’s 21st Century Community Learning Center. […]
The construction of a new emergency room complex on the backside of Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County is bringing to the fore a significant problem: traffic flow. The $12 million addition will have 22 exam rooms, two trauma rooms and two triage rooms. It also will mean one of the entrances to the hospital and an […]
It was not what I wanted to hear. A woman who was buying fresh, locally grown tomatoes from the Glenfield market stand on Bankhead Street was asking how much longer they would be available. “Only about another week and they’ll be gone,” the manager said. “After that, we’ll be getting tomatoes for a while from […]
The Tallahatchie RiverFest festival will get under way again this year with a Kickoff Community Luncheon on Friday, Sept. 20. The kickoff luncheon was begun two years ago to help boost the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of […]
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer