In less than two weeks, volunteers will be fanning out across Union County delivering food and toys through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program to families in need. This year, we expect to be able to help a few more than 200 families out of about 300 who applied for assistance. The reality is the […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Setting off on a day of Christmas shopping without any gifts in mind usually ends in failure for Jenny and me. We don’t do very well just wandering around, hoping to stumble on something we like. But that’s what we did last Saturday. Jenny was beginning to fret about what to get her parents, who […]
Here we go again. Gov. Phil Bryant last week proposed yet another plan to raid the public school treasury, this time to support private schools. The governor and Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves already are pushing a proposal to create more charter schools, which compete with public schools but do not have to meet all of […]
The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House has become so successful that the association has developed an encore event. From 5 to 8 p.m. next Friday the association will host something called “Sippin’ Cider,” a clever gimmick to get lots of folks downtown and shopping in members’ shops on a Friday night. […]
Thanksgiving week got off to its usual start a week ago Saturday. Our son Joe and I lugged the boxes of Christmas decorations off the garage shelves and put together the artificial tree. It’s not my favorite job, but we try to get the Christmas tree up before we drive to my sister’s house in […]
By just about any measure, the economy is slowly getting better, both nationally and in the state. Here at home there was good economic news last week as the 16-county region’s unemployment rates were released, and the overall rate – 8.6 percent — is the lowest in nearly four years. Union County got even better […]
Bobby Gault has been elected president of the Mississippi School Boards Association, capping a areer in education that began with his election to the New Albany Schools Board of Trustees in 1976. His taking the helm of the state association brings recognition and honor, not only to Mr. Gault, but also to the New Albany […]
It’s another sign that our youth is gone. No, I haven’t acquired some new malady, or if I have, I don’t know it yet. No, I’m talking about the empty shelves where the Wonder Bread is supposed to be. And the Hostess Cup Cakes and the Twinkies. The demise of Hostess Brands was the result […]
Thanksgiving is here, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We are talking about the Gazette’s Sharing at […]
Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney has become something of an expert on an unlikely topic – creating a state health insurance exchange as outlined under the federal Affordable Care Act. The fact that a Republican elected official in Mississippi is among the national leaders in developing a plan to implement one of the key parts […]
- Toyota Corolla production move from Canada to South America will not affect Blue Springs plant May 27, 2015
- Gazette, government offices will close Monday May 22, 2015
- New Albany school board votes to make high school ‘all iPad’ school May 27, 2015
- Fun at the spray park May 27, 2015
- Movies and Moonbeams May 29, 2015
- Emerald Home Furnishings moving here, bringing 150 jobs May 29, 2015
- Teens face charges in mass mailbox vandalism May 29, 2015
- Folk music festival, bluegrass competition again called success May 29, 2015
- Victim’s name released in fatal weather-related accident May 29, 2015
- Traffic stop nets supply of crystal meth May 29, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...