The decision by Toyota Motor Manufacturing to implement a totally tobacco/smoke free campus at its new Union County facility is somewhat surprising given the number of Mississippians who smoke or chew. The company announced this week that the Mississippi manufacturing plant will be the first Toyota plant in North America to become totally tobacco/smoke free. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The election of Bobby Gault to the leadership ladder of the Mississippi School Board Association brings recognition and honor not only to Mr. Gault, but also to the New Albany School District and to our city. Gault, who has been a member of the New Albany School District Board of Trustees since 1976, was elected […]
Holiday party season is here and at many parties there will be beer, wine or liquor. So, it’s a good time to remind ourselves that if we drink, drink responsibly. Don’t let that beer or glass of wine with dinner turn into more than that, and a blood alcohol content that could impair your driving. […]
Well, our governor is at it again, touting a new “Broadband for Mississippi” web site, which is part of the state’s overall effort to increase high-speed internet access throughout the state. According to Gov. Haley Barbour’s announcement press release, the site, www.broadband.ms.gov, will allow Mississippians to learn more about broadband technology and what it means […]
Seven days from now thousands of pounds of food and toys will be delivered to needy families in the Gazette’s 36th annual Sharing at Christmas program. The orders already have been placed with our food suppliers and toys are being purchased for 250 families that have qualified for the program. Last year 222 families were […]
Will Tucker’s election in Ward 4 to fill his father’s seat on the New Albany Board of Aldermen presents both a challenge and an opportunity for him. Tucker, who operates the Windshield Doctor, which had been his father’s family business, edged out Angele Mueller, owner of the Tallahatchie Gourmet restaurant, by an unofficial vote of […]
Getting food to low-income families is the mission of the Union County Good Samaritan Center and the job is getting bigger every month. That’s the word from Sally Zemek, executive director of the center, who oversees the operation at 806 Jay Street that is a lifeline for many families in our county. The number of […]
The holiday season is here and for most of us, it’s the season when we do more spending than at any other time during the year. So, it’s a logical time to take stock of what we are going to purchase and whether the items can be bought locally. If an item can be purchased […]
A meeting last week to discuss “The State of Union County,” and consider ways to improve it, left us a little cold. And not just because the heat wasn’t turned on in the Magnolia Civic Center, either. Oh, the folks from CREATE Foundation in Tupelo, who presented the material, did their job with a Power-Point […]
Thanksgiving is here, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We, of course, are talking about the Gazette’s […]
- Thumbing to California July 23, 2014
- Improving the ER July 23, 2014
- USA swim rep visits Tallahatchie Tidal Wave July 25, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweevils July 25, 2014
- Union County Fair Pet Show winners July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Museum seeks new Faulkner-inspired art for September exhibit July 30, 2014
- Nance retires from Department of Corrections July 30, 2014
- NAHS band getting ready for full season July 30, 2014
- County’s June jobless rate lowest in NE Mississippi; eighth best in state July 30, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey