Dear Editor: This letter is in regard to a meeting I had with the Union County Supervisors in August. It concerned my garbage bin being full and needing emptied. I also talked to them about a stopped up culvert of mine, and a ditch that was overgrown. Mr. Danny Jordan told me they would come […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Forty-six years ago this week was when the letter came. I was on my honeymoon, staying in a small motel across the street from Disneyland when my mother called from Kansas City. An official-looking letter had arrived addressed to me. Did I want her to open it? Inside was the notice to report for induction […]
Each year, after RiverFest has come and gone, we take a look at how it fared and what, if anything, might make it better. Last year we noted that RiverFest had become very successful at drawing a crowd over the last several years and we thought the festival was generally on the right track. This […]
The significance of packing and moving the last item from our home of thirty-eight years was more than substantial, but that wasn’t my struggle today. It was what to keep and what to throw away as I sorted through the “archives” of our lives. My discipline had earned high marks in sorting through furniture and […]
“It’s Time To Pay College Athletes,” TIME magazine declares on its cover this week. Here’s another statement: “It’s Time To End Intercollegiate Sports.” By Charlie Mitchell Think about it. The two sound different. Fundamentally, though, they’re the same. Look at the Olympics. There are those of us old enough to remember before 1992 when all […]
The Tanglefoot Trail officially opens tomorrow, bringing with it new opportunities for New Albany and Union County to demonstrate our hospitality. The more than 44-mile paved path starting in downtown New Albany and ending in Houston is expected to attract walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed by explorer Meriwether Lewis, […]
Somehow I got a few minutes behind schedule Friday night and was late arriving for the New Albany High School football game at Kitchens Field. My wife, Jenny, points out that my definition of late arrival is way different than hers. The first time we went to an Ole Miss game, we were standing in […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken the first step toward development of a public swimming pool to serve our community. The board, in its new budget approved last week, authorized $10,000 for a feasibility study for a New Albany pool. In our mind, the question to be decided in the feasibility study is […]
The level of academic excellence that can be achieved in our New Albany Schools has been demonstrated for the second consecutive year. A New Albany High School senior, Jamie Crow, daughter of Darrell and Patricia Crow, is among 136 students in Mississippi to become a National Merit Semifinalist. Crow follows Joseph Male, son of the […]
“Do you want one big one or five little ones? Katie asked our three-year-old grandson, Major. He shuffled from one foot to the other, then back again. It was a tough decision. “I – I – I want one big one!” he answered with the satisfaction of making the right decision. I was occupied with […]
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...