The defeat of a plan to establish minimum standards for rental housing in New Albany is a significant step backward in the effort to improve our community. The Board of Aldermen vote was 2 to 3 on the proposal that would have set standards for habitation and given the city building inspector the authority to […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
We take pride in providing the news in an objective fashion in our news columns. But here in this space we offer our opinion, and provide space in our Letters to the Editor column for yours. As we enter 2011, we want to let you know where we stand on important community issues. We support: […]
The decision by Toyota Motor Manufacturing to implement a totally tobacco/smoke free campus at its new Union County facility is somewhat surprising given the number of Mississippians who smoke or chew. The company announced this week that the Mississippi manufacturing plant will be the first Toyota plant in North America to become totally tobacco/smoke free. […]
The election of Bobby Gault to the leadership ladder of the Mississippi School Board Association brings recognition and honor not only to Mr. Gault, but also to the New Albany School District and to our city. Gault, who has been a member of the New Albany School District Board of Trustees since 1976, was elected […]
Holiday party season is here and at many parties there will be beer, wine or liquor. So, it’s a good time to remind ourselves that if we drink, drink responsibly. Don’t let that beer or glass of wine with dinner turn into more than that, and a blood alcohol content that could impair your driving. […]
Well, our governor is at it again, touting a new “Broadband for Mississippi” web site, which is part of the state’s overall effort to increase high-speed internet access throughout the state. According to Gov. Haley Barbour’s announcement press release, the site, www.broadband.ms.gov, will allow Mississippians to learn more about broadband technology and what it means […]
Seven days from now thousands of pounds of food and toys will be delivered to needy families in the Gazette’s 36th annual Sharing at Christmas program. The orders already have been placed with our food suppliers and toys are being purchased for 250 families that have qualified for the program. Last year 222 families were […]
Will Tucker’s election in Ward 4 to fill his father’s seat on the New Albany Board of Aldermen presents both a challenge and an opportunity for him. Tucker, who operates the Windshield Doctor, which had been his father’s family business, edged out Angele Mueller, owner of the Tallahatchie Gourmet restaurant, by an unofficial vote of […]
Getting food to low-income families is the mission of the Union County Good Samaritan Center and the job is getting bigger every month. That’s the word from Sally Zemek, executive director of the center, who oversees the operation at 806 Jay Street that is a lifeline for many families in our county. The number of […]
The holiday season is here and for most of us, it’s the season when we do more spending than at any other time during the year. So, it’s a logical time to take stock of what we are going to purchase and whether the items can be bought locally. If an item can be purchased […]
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey