Dear Editor: My 9-year-old grandson, Zach, went to school in tears this morning. It appears that someone took his dog, Cujo, last night when he was let out of the house for a few minutes. Cujo is a white Pomeranian with a touch of tan on his ear and a small spot on his […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Maybe I should have just stuck to the band burgers I ate Friday night at the New Albany football game. Because I got there early (Jenny says I’m obsessive about getting to places really early, but that’s another story), there was no crowd at the condiment table. I was able to dress my burgers with […]
The United Way has kicked off its 2012 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. The goal this year is $2,300,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest […]
Dear Editor: Camp Freshman was held at New Albany High School on July 31, 2012. This is an annual orientation event designed to help rising freshmen become familiar with the high school campus, teachers and administrators. The day is made possible because of the generosity of many businesses and individuals in our community. We […]
The cover of the New Albany Football Souvenir Program for the 2012 season says it all. On the cover designed by Lance Moore, New Albany Coach Ron Price and the team’s seniors are linked arm in arm in a striking photograph taken by Gazette Sports Editor Elizabeth Zaremba. Under the photo are the words, “Standing […]
It was a smooth handoff in the Mitchell family sports season. The Olympics finished off Sunday night with the closing ceremony, just five days before football officially kicks off with the New Albany Bulldogs. I confess I was getting a little weary of watching the splash meter as divers went into the pool or the […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken a first step in improving the promotion of tourism in the city. The board has named a seven-person committee to develop a comprehensive, long-term plan for tourism and promoting tourism. The committee is an outgrowth of the tourism advisory board, created years ago, but allowed to languish […]
If there was any doubt that we are hooked on the Olympics, it was cast out late Saturday afternoon. There we were – Jenny, Joe and I – glued to the TV screen, watching racewalking. That’s right – racewalking. Until Saturday I had never even heard of it, but that didn’t matter. It’s the Olympics […]
The Town of Blue Springs has a big task ahead in preparing for development expected in the area because of the new Toyota manufacturing plant. An urban planning consultant told the Board of Aldermen this week that it is important to move ahead on planning, zoning and building codes. Mike Slaughter of the Oxford-based Slaughter […]
Hundreds of children and their parents will descend on Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County Saturday morning for the annual Back to School Health Fair. One of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi, which traditionally has been designed for children ages 4 to 12, has been expanded to include children from birth to 12. A children’s […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...