Well, it went pretty much the way we expected. The folks pushing for construction of a new vocational-technical school showed up at our Magnolia Civic Center with a slick video and computer presentation. The CREATE Foundation and an architect from a Chicago outfit called BrainSpaces were here to tout the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures, […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The 2011 campaign of the United Way has been going on since August, and up until now the amount of money pledged is only 29 percent of the goal of $2.2 million. A number of major groups, including those involved with health care, have yet to finish their employee campaigns so the total may be […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen plans to consider an ordinance to prohibit smoking in restaurants and public buildings. Alderman Johnny Anderson has asked the city attorney to prepare a sample ordinance and the board has set a public hearing Nov. 1 to get citizen input. Anderson suggested the city consider an ordinance like Tupelo’s, […]
The high-gloss effort to make a bad idea look like something our community needs rolls into New Albany Thursday for a presentation at the Magnolia Civic Center. The CREATE Foundation and members of the Toyota Education Endowment Fund advisory committee will be here for a 5:30 p.m. presentation to tout the Wellspring Center for Professional […]
A group of New Albany businesses is trying something new tonight. It’s called New Albany on Tap, and it’s a fundraiser to help construct a small public park next to Van Atkins Jewelry at the northern end of the Tanglefoot Trail. The event, to be held in Cooper Park, is a beer tasting of small […]
We don’t personally know Pete Boone, director of athletics at the University of Mississippi. Or Chancellor Dan Jones or anyone else in the administration at Ole Miss. But we do know what’s proper and fair. We understand constructive criticism, civility and decorum. And what is going on in anonymous ads placed in several daily newspapers […]
The announcement Thursday that BNA Bank will donate $500,000 to help with expansion of the New Albany Sportsplex is exciting news for our city. In return for the bank’s pledge of $500,000 over a 20-year period, the city gave naming rights for the facility to the bank. It has been renamed BNA Bank Park and […]
The state of Mississippi has released the results of its 2011 public school performance testing, and the rankings are encouraging for both the New Albany and Union County schools. New Albany’s overall district score was 180 this year and the Union County district number was 169. Both numbers are good enough for the districts to […]
Blue Mountain College has a lot to celebrate, and it did just that Monday night at a classy dinner for faculty, alumni, donors and friends of the school. Adding to the class was author John Grisham, one of the most prolific and bestselling writers of our time. He was the speaker at the dinner and […]
This Friday is your last day to purchase tickets for the RiverFest Kickoff Community Luncheon that will open the annual festival this year. The event, at noon Friday, Sept. 23 in the meeting hall of First United Methodist Church, is a chance to add impetus to the literary tradition of RiverFest. The RiverFest Literary Committee […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...