The barking and wailing has stopped. She just wanders our street, often stopping to sit a half-block away at the corner. She slinks away if we approach. Sometimes she circles through several yards, but she usually ends up back near the corner. She’s waiting and looking – looking for her puppies. But they’re not coming […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The United Way campaign for 2012 has been going on since August, and up to now the campaign has raised 28 percent of its goal of $2.3 million. A number of major groups, including those involved in health care, have yet to finish their employee campaigns so the total may be misleading. But in fundraising, […]
The City of New Albany has done the fair thing in agreeing to pay more money to Union County for collecting city taxes. The Board of Aldermen decided Tuesday on a 4-1 vote to pay 1.5 percent of city taxes collected to the county for handling the collection. That will amount to about $60,000 this […]
Should I or shouldn’t I? Should I or shouldn’t I what, you ask? Use my cell phone while shopping. I had just read the column by Rheta Grimsley Johnson in the Gazette Friday about how much she hates to listen to other people’s mindless cell phone conversations in the grocery store. She calls it “unavoidable […]
Often we take for granted businesses or institutions right in our own community. Sometimes it takes recognition from outside the community to remind us of what we’ve got right here in New Albany. An example is our local hospital. It’s there, with lots of good people taking care of our needs day in and day […]
RiverFest has come and gone and it’s time to look at the report card. Here’s the way we saw it: Overall, RiverFest was very successful and the parts that make up the whole appear to be on the right track. Attendance was up 30 percent at the Community Kickoff Luncheon. The William Faulkner Literary Competition […]
Whew! I’m still worn out from all the activities last week. I guess I’m a little worn out by the end of every week, but last week was not an “every week” sort of thing for me. That’s because I’m not involved in helping put on a luncheon for 160 people every week. It’s not […]
Some legislators, tired of being reminded that they have failed to follow their own law in providing money to public schools, now want to tinker with the law’s formula. The law containing the formula, the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, was passed in 2002 to try to improve the low education standing of the state in […]
Every once in a while something happens that just leaves us stunned. That’s where we are today with the news that on almost no notice our area’s largest annual event has been forced out of its downtown location on Bankhead Street in front of the Union County Courthouse. Many of the events of our annual […]
Parallel parking was invented by someone who owned a car body shop. At least, that’s what I thought when I was 16 and faced with trying to pass the state test to get my driver’s license. “Who would ever do this?” I thought, as I tried to get my car into the space without bumping […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...