By Sid Salter Politicians talk earnestly, passionately and with historical flourishes about cutting federal spending. Here’s the rub – the Congressional Budget Office projects that the federal government will spend $3.602 trillion in Fiscal Year 2014 and collect $3.042 trillion in revenues, which will leave a projected federal budget deficit of some $600 billion. As […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
November is here, and with it comes a greater probability of severe weather. Even though we think of tornadoes in early spring, the fact is we have almost as many in November in Mississippi as any other time. We again want to suggest two things to help make sure that you are provided the latest […]
When we lived in Florence, Ala., my wife used to feel slighted at Halloween. Several of our neighbors kept their lights off, so few kids made the trek by our house to get a holiday treat. Well, be careful what you wish for. Here in New Albany, we mostly feel overwhelmed each year, as hundreds […]
Next Tuesday we will conduct a special election in Union County for the office of county coroner/medical examiner. A low turnout is expected and that is unfortunate because recent events show how important electing a quality individual is to an office that usually operates with little fanfare and in relative obscurity. The reason we are […]
Today the Gazette starts its 39th annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County. Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper. It’s about all those who provide […]
There I was Thursday night – sitting on the couch, watching college football and petting my dog (I do that a lot). Then the phone rang. The caller ID showed it was my boss, Dan Sykes, calling from Kentucky. It must be some final budget detail, I thought, as I answered the phone. We had […]
Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail. The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – Tracking. Mining. Harvesting. Drilling. If those words bring to mind Daniel Boone, coal cars wending along railroad tracks, cotton fields in October and dentists, you are over 60. If you think “social media,” you are under 25. Today’s column is about the latter – Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Pinterest, Instagram and […]
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and each year all the newspapers in our group produce a four-week series of stories relating to breast cancer in addition to a special one-time section in the Daily Journal. Another regular feature each year is the luncheon sponsored by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County and the Jones Clinic. Although […]
It’s been an on-going saga in my life this year – what to keep and what to discard. The irony in those decisions has been the value placed on the items. It’s been easier to part with a large piece of furniture or family antique than it has an old letter or kindergarten art work. […]
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...