State Sen. Nickey Browning of Pontotoc has become the latest Mississippi legislator to switch political parties. The announcement that Browning would become a Republican was made Wednesday in a short statement from Republican Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves. Browning, whose district includes Union County, has been elected five times to the Senate as a Democrat. We […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
It was a perfect-weather weekend for a basketball nap – rainy, gray, cold and just too nasty to spend much time outdoors. Jenny and I turned on the NCAA college basketball tournament on TV Friday night and prepared to nod off. We were both tired. Jenny had the better excuse. She and several other Oxford […]
It’s a case of putting a fox in the henhouse. Pardon us for starting with a trite expression, but it fits the situation perfectly. Monday House Speaker Phillip Gunn, a Republican from Clinton announced he is appointing Joel Bomgar to the state Board of Education. What’s wrong with that, you ask? Plenty. Bomgar of Ridgeland […]
School spring break week was one of stark contrasts for our family. Jenny, our son Joe, and I took our three dogs and the cat to the kennel a week ago Saturday and then headed north. By driving all day, we hoped to arrive in the Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati in time to have cake […]
New Albany voters have ended the decades old issue about whether the city should allow the sale of alcoholic beverages, first by approving beer three years ago and then wine and spirits this week. Tuesday’s vote was overwhelming in favor, 57.2 percent to 42.8 percent. In political circles, a margin of 55 percent or higher […]
Severe weather season is here again. It’s the time when we start paying more attention to the weather forecast, and worrying about whether there are tornado watches or tornado warnings for our areas. We have a couple of suggestions for you to help make sure that you are provided the latest weather information in case […]
Next Tuesday New Albany voters will decide a simple issue: whether to permit the sale of wine and spirits within the city limits. But we think the ramifications of the vote will have a significant effect in coming years on New Albany. Will the city attract its share of new residents and businesses as our […]
President Obama signed Thursday the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which was originally passed in 1994 under the leadership of then Sen. Joe Biden. The law has been widely touted as effective in increasing government prosecution and conviction rates in crimes of violence against women. Among other things it created a federal rape […]
It wasn’t my idea of fun-filled Saturday night. But there we were. Jenny and I found ourselves slowly nudging our way up North Gloster Street in Tupelo, with what must have been a couple thousand other cars. It all started when Jenny was putting some things away in a drawer in our bathroom vanity here […]
The Tallahatchie River Players, our community theater group, is presenting “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” this weekend at the Cine Theater in the Magnolia Civic Center. The musical production is based on the Peanuts gang from the comic strip as they juggle a series of silly, heroic, frustrating and heartfelt stories throughout a single […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...